Which hardware and system? (HDTV, no 3D, good sound system, NAS, little gaming)
I'm looking for advise how to approach an own home theater system using XBMC and other related software. This is what I plan to do in a step-by-step implementation (i.e. start with the first, then proceed step by step both for cost reasons as well as to prioritize):

1. HDTV + HTPC: Buy a good HDTV and setup a HTPC
2. NAS: Build an own NAS server using FreeNAS
3. Sound system: Add a great dolby surround sound system
4. Ambilight: Add a DIY ambilight

My requirements are:
- Best user experience in terms of video quality: Full HD/1080p/BluRay (what is uncompressed 1080p and do I need it?)
- Best user experience in terms of audio quality: I read about DTS-HD/TrueHD?
- Best user experience in terms of presentation:
---- not much noise
---- small cool looking box
---- UI running smoothly without hanging
---- HTPC can be started/turned off by remote
---- Underlying OS can't be seen
---- HTPC boots fast
- No 3D needed
- No or only little gaming needed (i.e. would be nice-to-have)
- PVR not needed now but probably added later
- Live TV not needed now but probably added later
- Not too much storage needed because own NAS/media server added later (i.e. still enough to survive the first weeks)
- BluRay drive that integrates with XBMC (only R, not RW/W needed)
- Possibility to add VPN + Netflix/Hulu/etc.

My main questions are:

- Which system/OS: Windows vs. Linux, XBMC vs. Live vs. OpenELEC: What's the right one?
- Custom-built vs. from-the-shelf?
- Which hardware?
- Which HDTV?

Would be great to get some advise.
Can anyone help? I read poofhairy's and eskro's guide but still am a bit lost in how far I can mix certain parts or in how fair they are dependend on each other.

Should I start with my favorite case because it determines what hardware fits in?
What's the difference between Micro and Mini ATX and what are the pros and cons?
When should I choose a 80mm and when a 120mm fan?
What's a (non) active psu?
Which OS/XBMC should I choose and why? Live? Windows? OpenELEC?

I'm a Group 6 type.
1) Not necessarily. For me I started with the Motherboard because it was free.

2) Micro is bigger than the mini and has a pci-e slot although I think I have see and mini with one. I think the mini has smaller components like laptop memory. Mini = ITX

3) Almost never and when ever you can

4) Power Factor Correction (Active PFC) More efficient !

5) I just like windows 7, and I know it better so it makes sense

You have to ask your self, do i like building computers? Or would I rather get something off a shelf. I am like you a Group 6 and I build a lot so throwing something together was easy because i like troubleshooting and don't get frustrated easily. My build is below and really its an overkill even with using the onboard graphics. I still haven't decided on a case Im using an old Dell case for now. Also start with XBMC 10.1 as its stable. Eden looks better and has a few more features but mine locks up every ounce and a while

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which hardware and system? (HDTV, no 3D, good sound system, NAS, little gaming)0