Advice on A Budget Build
teeedubb Wrote:LOL at needing 8gb of ram to "***Multitask - Watch Blu-ray DVD, burn the same movie to HD, and bittorent at the same time."
If you can burn BD, watch BD and bittorent fluently at the same time with 2GB of RAM and AM3 x2 260 you listed below, I would be surprise. Oh, I bet you are not converting BD or bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD either.

teeedubb Wrote:From a QUICK glance at a price list from a shop I use:

disk drive: SATA Blu-Ray Combo LG $58

ir receiver+remote and wifi: about $30 each

Total: $269 AUD
Where can I find LG BD-RE (OP want it so he can burn BD), IR/MCE remote and wireless N card for $88? I might want it too. Thanks!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:If you can burn BD, watch BD and bittorent fluently at the same time with 2GB of RAM and AM3 x2 260 you listed below, I would be surprise. Oh, I bet you are not converting BD or bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD either.

Of course that system will struggle with that, but thats not what the OP needs. No one has mentioned anything about burning/converting blurays or bitsreaming, only you, and to boot the OP is connecting his htpc to his system via optical cable...

bluray Wrote:Where can I find LG BD-RE (OP want it so he can burn BD), IR/MCE remote and wireless N card for $88? I might want it too. Thanks!

Do you read before you postHuh Where I listed the remote and wifi, did you happen to see the AND and the $30 EACH?? And the bluray drive I listed isnt a bluray burner, duh.... again if you didnt read the above paragraph, only you have mentioned burning blurays...
teeedubb Wrote:Of course that system will struggle with that, but thats not what the OP needs. No one has mentioned anything about burning/converting blurays or bitsreaming, only you, and to boot the OP is connecting his htpc to his system via optical cable...

Do you read before you postHuh Where I listed the remote and wifi, did you happen to see the AND and the $30 EACH?? And the bluray drive I listed isnt a bluray burner, duh.... again if you didnt read the above paragraph, only you have mentioned burning blurays...
OP messages-
"***Multitask - Watch Blu-ray DVD, burn the same movie to HD, and bittorent at the same time. Can I do this?
**Stream 1080p content from web (like southparkstudios or youtube)
**Run heavy XBMC Skins with no problem
*Web browsing
*Office applications
*Possible gaming
"
When I saw that messages (multitask, heavy skin, gaming, etc), it can mean a lot of thing. What if he want to playback blu-ray game, burning blu-ray disc to hard drive and do bittorent at the same time? I thought that he might want BD-RE to burn blu-ray disc to hard drive or copy it to blu-ray disc too! Smile

My suggestion in post #6 will cover all the above!
bluray Wrote:OP messages-
"***Multitask - Watch Blu-ray DVD, burn the same movie to HD, and bittorent at the same time. Can I do this?
**Stream 1080p content from web (like southparkstudios or youtube)
**Run heavy XBMC Skins with no problem
*Web browsing
*Office applications
*Possible gaming
"
When I saw that messages (multitask, heavy skin, gaming, etc), it can mean a lot of thing. What if he want to playback blu-ray game, burning blu-ray disc to hard drive and do bittorent at the same time? I thought that he might want BD-RE to burn it to hard drive or another to blu-ray disc too! Smile

My suggestion in post #6 will cover all the above!
+1, I built almost identical HTPC as suggested by Bluray in his post #6. I am very greatful for his suggestion and (eSkro/Beer). They are a very helpful bunch, and their suggestion is spot on. I'm very happy with AMD A8-3850. I can playback all BD files in full 1080P video with HD audio, and I can do multitask with it too. I'm glad that I went with BD-RE instead of the standard BD-ROM. It's a great option. I can burn/copy my kid blu-ray disc for backup, and it allow me to store away the original copy. The price is very reasonable for this powerful all-in-one APU system.

To OP- I highly recommend the build in post #6. Cheer! Nod
noworry Wrote:To OP- I highly recommend the build in post #6. Cheer! Nod

for the Silverstone ML03b,
just use an ATX12V PSU instead of the suggested SFX12V.
noworry Wrote:I'm very happy with AMD A8-3850. I can playback all BD files in full 1080P video with HD audio, and I can do multitask with it too. I'm glad that I went with BD-RE instead of the standard BD-ROM. It's a great option. I can burn/copy my kid blu-ray disc for backup, and it allow me to store away the original copy. The price is very reasonable for this powerful all-in-one APU system.

To OP- I highly recommend the build in post #6. Cheer! Nod
I'm glad that everything work out very well for you. So, you did change BD-ROM to the slim Panasonic BD-RE that I suggested it. I believe that your original build is as shown below, and you used one of my favorite Silverstone SG06-B case. It'll be used for my next build (I have my eyes on the AMD Trinity Big Grin).

1. Case- SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG06-B
2. MOBO- ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 AMD A75
3. APU- AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz
4. HD- Patriot SSD 32GB
5. RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
6. BD-ROM-LG Black 12X BD-ROM

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice on A Budget Build0