Alternative to Revo R3610
Hello Folks,

I bought an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop, Atom 330, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NOOPT, NVIDIA ION, WLAN, Linux some 18 months ago and installed XBMC (Linux). The device has been perfect and not caused me one problem with playing everything its has been streamed to.

I'm in the market to buy another 2 devices of similar ilk.

My budget is £200 a piece.

I see that ZOTAC ZBOXHD-ND22 appears to be getting very good reviews. Im looking to stream 1080p and use the XBMC live install
Would the ZBOXHD be a good purchase or should i aim to go back to the latest incarnation from the Revo line and pay an extra £50-60 each per unit.
First, have you checked the stickies at the top of the subforum?

Beyond that, I guess that my rig would be one of the alternatives, although you will at least have to push your budget to some £230 in order to get some RAM and some further £50 if you want a HDD (although it's fine to install LIVE on a quality USB stick). Compared to your Revo it lacks S/PDIF and eSata, but it's on the other hand absolutely silent without a HDD (i.e. with USB or SSD) and it has so far played all the HD content I've thrown at it.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
does your Shuttle support 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound through HDMI?

Orclas Wrote:First, have you checked the stickies at the top of the subforum?

Beyond that, I guess that my rig would be one of the alternatives, although you will at least have to push your budget to some £230 in order to get some RAM and some further £50 if you want a HDD (although it's fine to install LIVE on a quality USB stick). Compared to your Revo it lacks S/PDIF and eSata, but it's on the other hand absolutely silent without a HDD (i.e. with USB or SSD) and it has so far played all the HD content I've thrown at it.
I don't use surround and thought it did not, but appearantly it does. I was even corrected by a team XBMC member in this thread when I expressed my prejudice that it doesn't Rolleyes

So, if you're looking for something very simple it should definitely be one of your alternatives, particularly since no moving parts (with SSD or USB) => absolutely silent and nothing that can break, start squeaking etc. Myself I mounted it to the back of my TV furniture which means it's pretty much the invisible HTPC.

Speaking of that and right, there's something that I do see (behind the front glass doors and when blinking red for "commando received) namely the necessary USB IR receiver (none built in). I use a HP MCE IR receiver which worked out of the box, but I think I've seen Eskro conclude that "some work, others don't".
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alternative to Revo R36100