ATV Flash vs XBMC
Ok, so cost of ATV Flash aside, is it worth installing that for all the extras, rather than just doing a plain jailbreak + install of XBMC? Thoughts please?
Fileserver: Athlon 7850 | 8GB RAM | 5x2TB RAID-Z2 | Ubuntu Trusty | Lian Li PC-A05B

HTPC: Raspberry Pi 2 with OSMC
anyone?
Fileserver: Athlon 7850 | 8GB RAM | 5x2TB RAID-Z2 | Ubuntu Trusty | Lian Li PC-A05B

HTPC: Raspberry Pi 2 with OSMC
AnalBeard Wrote:Ok, so cost of ATV Flash aside, is it worth installing that for all the extras, rather than just doing a plain jailbreak + install of XBMC? Thoughts please?

I've been contemplating this purchase as well and have come to the following conclusions:

Pros:
  • Although you can install the lite version yourself, Couch Surfer Pro is only available this way. (Compare versions & more info)
  • It simplifies the installation and maintenance (upgrades) of a number of good packages (e.g. XBMC, NitoTV, PLEX Client, Remote HD, Media Player).
  • A pre-existing installation of XBMC (like mine) will be integrated into aTV Flash and not deleted or duplicated.
  • I think the weather app is custom to this install, but I'm not sure if it's any good. Anyone?
  • It's relatively inexpensive for what you get (and you can get another 15% off if you buy soon from the MacUpdate promo).
  • If nothing else, and probably most important to me, I'll be donating to the same group that has been making the Sea0nPass jailbreak available to aTV users.

Cons:
  • It costs money. The purchase is for an annual license for upgrades. I don't know what will stop working (if anything) in 12 months.
  • I can install many of these packages myself. Although I like tinkering with installs and learning more about my devices, I do like keeping things simple and integrated too. Hmmmm...
  • I heard someone say that maintenance upgrades from aTV Flash are stable releases only. For some, this could be considered a Pro, but I'll put it here. Can anyone verify this?

Did I miss anything?

- Steve
Couch Surf Lite is only available for ATV1. I sold my ATV1 a month ago.

Did anyone one get Couch Surf Lite on ATV2? Does it work with Flash?

Thanks
XBMC Eden 12.3 (Dec 24, 2014) on ATV2 JB 5.3 and Nexus 7. One-for-All IR/RF/x10 Remote URC-9911.
nokian Wrote:Couch Surf Lite is only available for ATV1. I sold my ATV1 a month ago.

Did anyone one get Couch Surf Lite on ATV2? Does it work with Flash?

Thanks

Good point. You're right. I don't know of anyone who has been able to get it to work on an ATV2.

- Steve
sfish Wrote:Pros:
  • It's relatively inexpensive for what you get (and you can get another 15% off if you buy soon from the MacUpdate promo).

I just found out that MacUpdate are selling the software without the 30-day refund Firecore offers, so that kills that deal for me.

- Steve
AnalBeard Wrote:Ok, so cost of ATV Flash aside, is it worth installing that for all the extras, rather than just doing a plain jailbreak + install of XBMC? Thoughts please?

1, ATV Flash doesn't play all the media, but XBMC can play most of media format.
2, XBMC has N number of plug-ins to pull media from web.
3, I'm not great fan of couch surfer..
4, To install ATV Flash, you still need to jailbreak.
I beleive , The best of atv is it can play iso files and it doesnt crash all the time like xbmc.
I did both and prefer XBMC only for stability reasons mostly. When I had NitoTV installed, it was cool, but I barely used any of the extra features. Then, when I wanted to upgrade, it all came down crashing and I had to do a full restore.

Unless you badly need one of the ATV Flash features, don't bother.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV Flash vs XBMC0