AMD A6/A8 and Performance in a XBMC on Win7 Setup
publicENEMY Wrote:Does this means that e350 is enough for htpc? and a6/a8 is overkill?
I have one of the three HTPC's in the house with AsRock E350M1 mobo in it. The gui is very sluggish. If I have to do it all over again with this HTPC, I would get at least AMD A6-3500 APU to match the performance of my other two HTPC's in the house.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bcboncs Wrote:what are these going for nowadays? and is it a silent build? I checked the thread but no pricing, that's why I appreciate eskro's work Wink

Wink
bluray Wrote:I have one of the three HTPC's in the house with AsRock E350M1 mobo in it. The gui is very sluggish. If I have to do it all over again with this HTPC, I would get at least AMD A6-3500 APU to match the performance of my other two HTPC's in the house.

Wow. Your statement makes me rethink about my choice of cpu selection. nobody wants a sluggish menu navigation. if, let say on my htpc, i use the fastest/practical ssd for consumer(intel 510 250 gb) for fastest menu navigation purpose, which cpu would you recommend? are there any difference between a6 and a8 menu navigation performance?

Thanks.
Does anyone know if the A6-3500 is good enough to play 10 bit mkv's? You cannot use the gpu to decode it annoyingly so I was wondering how powerful the cpu part is.
publicENEMY Wrote:Wow. Your statement makes me rethink about my choice of cpu selection. nobody wants a sluggish menu navigation. if, let say on my htpc, i use the fastest/practical ssd for consumer(intel 510 250 gb) for fastest menu navigation purpose, which cpu would you recommend? are there any difference between a6 and a8 menu navigation performance?

Thanks.
In term of performance, AMD A8 has the edge (roughly 26% better). For HTPC, A6 should be fine!
saitrix Wrote:Does anyone know if the A6-3500 is good enough to play 10 bit mkv's? You cannot use the gpu to decode it annoyingly so I was wondering how powerful the cpu part is.
The 4x core has plently of power, and here is the info on it- AMD A6 3650 CPU REVIEW.
bluray Wrote:I have one of the three HTPC's in the house with AsRock E350M1 mobo in it. The gui is very sluggish. If I have to do it all over again with this HTPC, I would get at least AMD A6-3500 APU to match the performance of my other two HTPC's in the house.

I'm currently building an a6-3500 but I will say that my zotac e350 with 4gb of ram and a 25gb slc ssd is not sluggish at all. It's very smooth, but I'm also feeding it a cat6a connction.
r1lee Wrote:I'm currently building an a6-3500 but I will say that my zotac e350 with 4gb of ram and a 25gb slc sad is not sluggish at all. It's very smooth, but I'm also feeding it a cat6a connction.
I found that my E350 with 4GB of RAM and 32GB of SSD user interface is sluggish compare to my other two HTPC's.
XBMC performance with the A6-3500 is really good imo, with a slow 5400rpm HDD. See my sig for some videos.

I can play 1080p youtube videos. I'll test tonight just to see CPU % utilisation figure.
A6-3500 is my favorite HTPC APU!
Balinus Wrote:XBMC performance with the A6-3500 is really good imo, with a slow 5400rpm HDD. See my sig for some videos.

I can play 1080p youtube videos. I'll test tonight just to see CPU % utilisation figure.

Looks good in that case! Have you measured your idle power usage as I am looking at running mine 24/7. You think it will be easy to cool with a full size cpu cooler, ie Scythe Mugen 3 type? For me it must be silent from 2m away to keep me happy.
saitrix Wrote:Looks good in that case! Have you measured your idle power usage as I am looking at running mine 24/7. You think it will be easy to cool with a full size cpu cooler, ie Scythe Mugen 3 type? For me it must be silent from 2m away to keep me happy.

Thanks!

I get ~28-30W at idle (as measured with CPUID "HWmonitor"). I hve 2 fans : CPU is set at 10% in Speedfan and runs about 1200RPM, while my case fan is constant at 1300RPM.

I don't hear much at 8 feet. The CPU cooler is the fan I hear though. So, I'll probably buy a new CPU cooler later this year. Though, during a movie, I don'T hear the HTPC, only during movie selection in XBMC if I ask myself if I hear it!
That's good news, I am going to go for a larger case as I want to also fit all my storage in it too. Plus it will allow me to run a large heatsink so hopefully silent. That's good idle power too, seems like the perfect htpc cpu if I'm honest. Just a shame there isn't any cheaper FM1 m-itx motherboards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD A6/A8 and Performance in a XBMC on Win7 Setup0