Suggest receivers for XBMC
As publicENEMY suggests, Onkyo's have a reputation for running hot. Make sure it's well ventilated. Their website should tell you if it has a 110V/240V switch.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:As publicENEMY suggests, Onkyo's have a reputation for running hot. Make sure it's well ventilated. Their website should tell you if it has a 110V/240V switch.
I have my Onkyo HT-RC270 in the TV stand next to other hot components, and it seems to be fine. The overall temp feels about the same as my previous Pioneer Elite AVR. Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I would suggest the Onkyo HT-s3400 : its 5.1 , Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio decoder ,660 Watt, 3d ready etc
I price matched it and got it for 225$ At best buy . its more then enough for me without breaking the bank .
bluray Wrote:I have my Onkyo HT-RC270 in the TV stand next to other hot components, and it seems to be fine. The overall temp feels about the same as my previous Pioneer Elite AVR. Smile

Just going on whats out there for info -they get a bad rap for it but I can't speak from experience. Maybe Onkyo has addressed that or it only applies to some models.

Actual reviews on audio gear websites and forums would alleviate any concerns once you've narrowed down a particular model or two. I'm sure there's many Onkyo fans out there (and some non-Onkyo 'fans' placed on top) lol

EDIT: If you're not shaking the walls on a hot day with it in a tight cabinet I'm blowing smoke, just because I run them that way lol....
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:Just going on whats out there for info -they get a bad rap for it but I can't speak from experience. Maybe Onkyo has addressed that or it only applies to some models.

Actual reviews on audio gear websites and forums would alleviate any concerns once you've narrowed down a particular model or two. I'm sure there's many Onkyo fans out there (and some non-Onkyo 'fans' placed on top) lol

EDIT: If you're not shaking the walls on a hot day with it in a tight cabinet I'm blowing smoke, just because I run them that way lol....
There is no hotter state anywhere in North America than AZ.

I used Onkyo, Pioneer Elite and Denon AVR's. As far as heat go, it feel very similar to me. As far as I'm concern, I never have any AVR die on me for 20+ years now. I own my previous Onkyo for nearly 10yrs, and I never have any problem with it. I replaced it with HT-RC270 to enjoy new technologies. Smile
bluray Wrote:There is no hotter state anywhere in North America than AZ.

I used Onkyo, Pioneer Elite and Denon AVR's. As far as heat go, it feel very similar to me. As far as I'm concern, I never have any AVR die on me for 20+ years now. I own my previous Onkyo for nearly 10yrs, and I never have any problem with it. I replaced it with HT-RC270 to enjoy new technologies. Smile

Glad to hear it Bluray - that's the trouble with passing on internet "wisdom" vs first-hand experience. To the OP I have no reason to doubt Bluray's findings!
Biggest problem I have using my Onkyo receiver with XBMC over HDMI, is that the receiver tends to take a second or so to 'detect' the type of audio it is receiving and start output. This is fine for movies, but for some TV shows where dialogue starts immediately you can miss a bit at the start. I don't have this problem over optical.
dannycorker Wrote:Biggest problem I have using my Onkyo receiver with XBMC over HDMI, is that the receiver tends to take a second or so to 'detect' the type of audio it is receiving and start output. This is fine for movies, but for some TV shows where dialogue starts immediately you can miss a bit at the start. I don't have this problem over optical.
What Onkyo AVR do you own? I don't have this problem with my RC-270. If I'm not mistaken, there is a firmware update on it.
bluray Wrote:What Onkyo AVR do you own? I don't have this problem with my RC-270. If I'm not mistaken, there is a firmware update on it.

I can't remember the exact model number, but the package I bought was the HTS-5405 which comes with 5.1 speakers as well. It's very much a budget system which I guess is the main culprit, was about £350 for the receiver and all 6 speakers. Until XBMC bitstreams HD audio I don't really mind using optical anyway, and I'm not sure I have anything with HD audio anyway (have a separate blu ray player)
dannycorker Wrote:Biggest problem I have using my Onkyo receiver with XBMC over HDMI, is that the receiver tends to take a second or so to 'detect' the type of audio it is receiving and start output. This is fine for movies, but for some TV shows where dialogue starts immediately you can miss a bit at the start. I don't have this problem over optical.

I get this with my Denon - it's about 2 secs. That's a tad annoying with music, but it's only on the first song so not really a big deal if you're making a playlist. Just a receiver thing - unless XBMC "injected" a brief silence in the same format and kept that stream open there's nothing they can do about it.
my onkyo clearly stated in the manual to leave 20cm space on top and 10 cm space on both sides. as long as you follow this guide, your onkyo would run just fine.

but if your rack doesnt provide this kind of space, you can try using aftermarket cooler. or simply put notebook cooler(preferably silent ones) upside down on the top of the receiver to blow out hot air from the receiver. this solution is not in the manual. its just a suggestion that might or might not work.
the playback delay is unavoidable(a workaround suggestion by DDDamian might work). if you use other means than hdmi, then you will lose the benefit of hdmi audio. you can try google hdmi vs optical for that matter.
deanmv Wrote:I just bought the Onkyo one that gonzus posted (as a package with speakers, spec is in my sig) and it is incredible! ATV2 -> HDMI -> receiver -> HDMI -> TV. [...]. No problems with it and XBMC at all once set up (had one option that needed to be changed with normal ATV2 software)

can you clarify which option you had to change in the SW ? I have an ATV1 and am considering buying an onkyo ht-s5405..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suggest receivers for XBMC0