Disc drive, long cable
Hi

What would people have done if they wanted a disc drive aside with the tv.
But the computer was around 10 meters away (cable meters).

Is this possible? Or just to give up?
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
I think it should be possible. I'm not sure what kind of performance you're going to see out of a cable that long but an external 5.25 enclosure plus a really long usb cable should in theory do the trick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817392031

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2
Does the TV feature two HDMI ports?

If it does, I'd say the easy solution would to simply buy a plain old DVD player, or do you want it "at the TV, but feeding the computer (and then back?"?
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Yes, I would use it as an dvd player for the pc as for the tv, via the pc.
A ten meter sata cable? No chance. USB and IDE will also not reach that far, neither will SCSI. It can't be done.
I'm either thick (which is quite possible) or you need to explain a bit further, because I can't quite make out how your current setup looks, what you need and what you don't need.

Do you want the DVD at the TV, but connected to the PC so that you can then display it back on the TV?? So that you can access it via XBMC on the PC?

Or something else??
mat____ Wrote:A ten meter sata cable? No chance. USB and IDE will also not reach that far, neither will SCSI. It can't be done.

USB can, either via some amplifier (or sumthing) or via some USB-to-Ethernet cable-to-USB adapter. Don't remember the specifics, but I once looked into it.
Orclas Wrote:USB can, either via some amplifier (or sumthing) or via some USB-to-Ethernet cable-to-USB adapter. Don't remember the specifics, but I once looked into it.

USB max length is 5meters.
Thunderbolt maxes out at 3.
None of the other specs come close.

Sure you could put a couple of USB extenders in the run so you have a 3m extension, an repeater another 3m cable, another repeater and then the drive; but each of those repeaters would need to be powered along the way, and throughput will drop as a result. There's better ways to solve this problem.
mat____ Wrote:USB max length is 5meters.
Thunderbolt maxes out at 3.
None of the other specs come close.

Sure you could put a couple of USB extenders in the run so you have a 3m extension, an repeater another 3m cable, another repeater and then the drive; but each of those repeaters would need to be powered along the way, and throughput will drop as a result. There's better ways to solve this problem.

I didn't go specific since I couldn't remember the numbers (i.e. up to which distance a repeater helps), but then there's the other half: 30-50 meters with stuff like this, explained here.

Can now, supposedly, be had for HDMI too (which could catch the attention of a few peeps here I'm sure Smile
I have ran usb extenders (like the 2nd post) that leads to a USB hub behind the tv and a slim usb dvd burner in the cabinet. Works like a charm!
The people that say no have never tried it.
hick:
had you used an 10m active usb or have you done this with the cat5 extension method.
And what the USB hus you used power via the USB or with external power?

I want this because I use my XBMC PC to more than movies. So I want it in another room. With another screen maybe.
thin client or diskless pxe system

or a wireless router with a usb port to turn drives into NAS
I use security cameras which are usb. I do use the usb to rj45 extenders and have no issue. The longest run is about 60 feet.

My profession as a performance software coder for high end cars also I use a 30 foot usb cable to emulate and have never had a glitch.

Long USB cables please pay the price for the cable it really matters in quality.
svtfmook: Don`t quite understand what you are talking about here. its a DVD drive, its not an nas.?

XBMC_FREAK: You use an 30ft (10m) USB cable you say, is this an active type?
And how much data will it manage to send and recive? If a also want to upgrade to an Blu Ray in time.
Hi

I am now trying this a littlebit, but I use an adapter:
http://www.st-lab.com/products.asp

I have a problem that it falls out, or it its just not fast enugh.
It just gives up it looks like.
I tried to copy to dvds, the first went ok, but the secon did not.
I did an test with windows normal copy, and i started at 14MB vent down to 4MB and
then falled under 1MB pr second.
I use an 3 meter usb cable, could it be the cable or is it the adpter that could be the problem?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disc drive, long cable0