Scythe slipstream case fan
Hi,
I want to order a case fan but i am not sure wich one.
Should i go for the 500 or 800 rpm?
Another thing i am asking myself, install it as a intake or a exhaust fan?
This will the only cas fan in combination with a kuzoti CPU cooler in my apex mi-008 case. Will i still hear the machine?
answered in my HTPC guide..
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114896
install as intake COLD air.
Well, the 500RPM will obviously be the quieter, but how do you perceiver your cooling needs? A "tad is enough" or "I need some good flow from time to time".

At any rate, voltage control - via Mobo (best) or some regulator - is a very good way to control fan noise, both from a pure noise perspective but also as in flexibility.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Get the faster one. You can easily slow it down by changing the voltage supplied to it, either though mobo controls or something like this.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
+1 numb7rs
Still depends. If cooling need is in the range of "I need to at all move the air", a downvolted 500RPM fan is pretty much bound to be quieter than a 800 RPM.

Perceivably so? That will also depend on a few things.
Thanks for the replys. I ordered the faster one. Cant wait to install it together with the kozuti. A bit of a shame i need to install my 1.5 tb hdd (7200rpm). Lets hope it does not make too much noise.
keep us up2date!
Having this installed for a little while, here are my experiences :
-the slipstream is absolutely quiet, a Nice surprise
-i also installed a kozuti CPU cooler, made a lot of noise. But after altering the speed level to 1 in the bios. This ones is quiet too. So the only thing that can be heard is the hdd. But when sitting 4 meter away from the htpc, you cant hear a thing.
So after installing the coolers the htpc stays cool and quiet
And lets me enjoy my tv shows :-)
Cool and quiet, just the way it should be Smile

Laibr Wrote:So the only thing that can be heard is the hdd.

I don't know how large your case is, but if you're still in the tinkering mood there are cheap and good ways to greatly reduce HDD noise, discussed for example here.
@orclas: I have seen that tread, but i have a apex -mi-008 with a dvd drive and a hdd and ssd. So i haven't got enough room left for this kind of mod.
Have been looking at it already Big Grin
You're obviously a very well informed member Smile
You might try to put some small rubber feet on your HDD and stick your HDD with tie-wrap... ?

I had some rubber already on a salvged external USB HDD and even at 1 feet, I can't hear it!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scythe slipstream case fan0