Smb / CIFS: ATV2 -> Opensolaris ZFS fileserver
Hi all

Just bought myself an Apple tv2 to run XBMC on.

Running Eden Beta1 and Apple TV is upgraded to latest version (4.4.4/ios 5)

Somehow I am having problems mapping my fileserver using SMB protocol.
(Opensolaris running ZFS and CIFS (smb))

Manually added sources on my Windows 7 computer - this works flawlessy. Source example below.

<source>
<name>SERVER</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://DOMAIN;user:[email protected]/archive$/</path>
</source>

When I copy sources.xml from my Windows computer and over to the atv2 - all sources appear in the list, but I am unable to browse file shares.

Is the smb client on ATV2 stripped down in any way? Is there anyone else running simmlar setup with OpenSolaris file server?

Seems to me like the ATV2 is unable to authenticate against the server for some reason...

I know there are other possibilites to setup NFS, FTP, uPNP and so on... but i'd really like to go on with the smb like before...
xbmc under windows uses a native smb client, where all other plattforms including atv 2 are using libsmbclient (open source alternative). So they are completlydifferent.

I would try to remove that domain in the url at first...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
No success with removing the domain part.. keeps popping up and asking for user/password all the time..

Any way to upgrade this libsmbclient on the atv? - or go around it on other ways?
Well, I am not running off of OI but I am using FreeBSD with my ZFS pools on it and streaming works great through SMB both to Win 7 boxes and an ATV 2. I tried OI awhile ago for a little bit and only tried streaming through Win 7 boxes at the time but it worked fine as well. I'm guessing its the domain setup for my $.02.
Ok, did some more testing yesterday and got some process.

The semicolon used between domain;user had to be replaced by an backslash.
Then I were able to browse the files.

Ended up like this to get it working:

<source>
<name>SERVER</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://DOMAIN\user:[email protected]/archive$/</path>
</source>
May a go and puke now? Big Grin - thx for finding out Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Random question, why not use NFS if your server is BSD based? SMB seems like the worst of the sharing protocols for speed
injeee Wrote:Ok, did some more testing yesterday and got some process.

The semicolon used between domain;user had to be replaced by an backslash.
Then I were able to browse the files.

Ended up like this to get it working:

<source>
<name>SERVER</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://DOMAIN\user:[email protected]/archive$/</path>
</source>

You might also want to avoid using the $ shares. Those are administrative shares by default and may result in even more unusual behavior.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smb / CIFS: ATV2 -> Opensolaris ZFS fileserver0