[ATV2] Specific AVI files constantly buffering
Having some issues on the ATV2 only. A specific set of .avi files are constantly buffering every 30 seconds or so. My entire library is shared to the ATV2 via mysql and it works flawlessly. Workout videos I have shared via smb as just a direct link to the folder to where they are as im not sure how to scrape workout videos. Seems simple enough. My ATV2 is on wifi, but does work with everything else.

Problem im running into is this:

If i play say Kettlenetics.avi it works great, no buffering issues at all. This is the behavior I'd expect.

Now, when I try playing something from Insanity Fitness, any of the files have a buffer issue. They are in .avi format, SD quality, all under 1gb in total size.

When I play these same videos from the main living room pc (which also happens to be where they are stored) they run great in xbmc.

Because its only happening on this specific set of files, I'd imagine its an issue with something in the encode of the files. It was a 13gb download to get them all, so Id rather not redownload if i can avoid it. Any thoughts on how i can get this to run smoothly on the ATV2? Im running a pre-eden nightly on both machines (got mysql running smooth so i decided to not rock the boat and keep upgrading).

Windows says the problem files have the following properties:
Codec-H264-Mpeg 4 AVC
Frame width:640
Frame height:480
Data rate: 3882kbps
Total bitrate:4010kbps
Frame Rate: 29 frames/second
Audio:
Codec:mp3
Bit Rate:128kbps
Channels:2
Audio sample rate: 44khz

I suspect it has something to do with the bitrate as lower bit rate files run fine.

any ideas?
any ideas?

Ive tried the stuff in the FAQ about changing audio output to optical. still buffers. I have no option to change to 16bit in the apple tv settings, it simply doesnt exist.
Settings Tab -> Audio and Video -> HDMI audio out (I think) in the iOS settings. Unless you have uber old iOS software. Also try cable instead of wifi? If that works then it is just a network issue?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
deanmv Wrote:Settings Tab -> Audio and Video -> HDMI audio out (I think) in the iOS settings. Unless you have uber old iOS software. Also try cable instead of wifi? If that works then it is just a network issue?
the iOS software is super old. Like at least a year or so. I jailbroke it and didnt see any need to update and have it break so i havent messed with it. I suppose I could try hardwiring it and see what happens. Itll be a pain.
im assuming it might be easier to just reencode the file to a lower bitrate, as 99% of the rest of my media works great. any good software out there to easily rencode to just a lower bitrate?
Well 4.4.4 is untethered now... and just do it as a test if not just to see if it is that?
Set Up
deanmv Wrote:Well 4.4.4 is untethered now... and just do it as a test if not just to see if it is that?

if i do that wont it wipe my xbmc install? i have everything shared via mysql and dont want to mess up the DB versions as everything works great except for this set of files.
Yeah it will clear your ATV in the upgrade/restore and but it back to stock firmware.
Set Up

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Specific AVI files constantly buffering0