Thumbnail permission problem with NFS path substitution - Thumbs "disappear" on ATV2
I have been struggling to get NFS setup reliably on all of my XBMC players for a while now and recently solved one of the more annoying issues I had been seeing. I have Eden beta 1 on all my players, 2 ATV2s, 1 Crystalbuntu and a few Windows installs. I use my Synology NAS as a MySQL server with thumbs all mapped to a single folder via path substitution.

I use a Windows box for all of my library scraping since it is way faster and recently converted all of my players to use the same thumbs folder via NFS path substitution. (Previously working well in SMB but NFS offers up slightly faster image loading IMHO)

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://profile/Thumbnails</from>
<to>nfs://192.168.1.10/volume1/XBMC/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

I found that when I would scrape a show or a movie on the Windows box it looked OK there, but the thumbnail image was missing on the ATV2. If I were to scrape (or just change the thumb of Fanart) on the ATV2, everything was fine everywhere.

I figured this was a permissioning issue and found that if I use NFS the Windows box sets the file permission as only RW for the owner (i.e. 600) and that the owner was a number, like 65533 (presumably the UID of the windows box...)

This is consistent between multiple ATV2s and Windows boxes as well as a crystalbuntu/ATV1. The work around is to just use SMB path substitution for the Windows boxes since it will set the permissions as 777. Not sure if this is a bug or just the way that NFS works, but I though I should report it along with the workaround since it was driving me crazy for a day...

For reference I use a Synology NAS and followed the NFS instructions in the WIKI.
you can get around it by adapting the /etc/exports file on your nfs server.

add all_squash,anonuid=65533 (you mean 65334 do you?).

for example:

Code:
/platte                 *(rw,all_squash,insecure,async,anonuid=65534)

change anonuid to whatever the files get as owner when written by windows.

This will take care of that every xbmc you use for accessing your nfs will use the same uid when writing to it...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:you can get around it by adapting the /etc/exports file on your nfs server.

add all_squash,anonuid=65533 (you mean 65334 do you?).

for example:

Code:
/platte                 *(rw,all_squash,insecure,async,anonuid=65534)

change anonuid to whatever the files get as owner when written by windows.

This will take care of that every xbmc you use for accessing your nfs will use the same uid when writing to it...

Thanks Memphiz!

Looking around at some other threads I thought that the answer would be something like that.

I'll have to give NFS sources another try after I implement that change, see if all my other issues magically go away with it =)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbnail permission problem with NFS path substitution - Thumbs "disappear" on ATV20