[ATV2] XBMC crashing when loading movies from Airport Extreme HDD
I have exactly your same problemSad
I have an ATV2 connected wireless to a Time Capsule 2 TB with AFP. The SMB solution is not good because with SMB there are many many problems of bufferings and so the movie are awfuls.

@ Memphiz:
If you Know that all these problems are AFP related, why don't you try to patch them? AFP is very important for users like me with a Time capsule, a Airport extreme or a Mac.
However, thanks for your work
Benjopa Wrote:I have exactly your same problemSad
I have an ATV2 connected wireless to a Time Capsule 2 TB with AFP. The SMB solution is not good because with SMB there are many many problems of bufferings and so the movie are awfuls.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes the buffering is a bit annoying, but it's not as bad as XBMC just flat out crashing due to AFP issues. Oo

Not sure what else can be done?
Benjopa Wrote:I have exactly your same problemSad

@Benjopa - With a USB hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme, which is accessed by ATV via Ethernet, I experience the buffering on afp but not on smb. So I suspect that your issue is your wireless file streaming, not the smb protocol.
Benjopa Wrote:@ Memphiz:
If you Know that all these problems are AFP related, why don't you try to patch them? AFP is very important for users like me with a Time capsule, a Airport extreme or a Mac.

Sometimes i really wonder what people are thinking about me. But i really should stop that kind of thinking and just ignore it.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=927...tcount=209
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=930...tcount=220

For the last time I'm not lazy!
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Benjopa Wrote:@ Memphiz:

I think it needs to be pointed out how rude this statement is. The amount of work Memphiz (and all devs) have put into this project is incredible.

You know the problem? Just patch it. It's easy, just do it now. For free. NOW.

If it was that easy, people like you and me would be fixing the problems.

Sorry, and this isn't just for you, but for anyone making similar statements. Pull your head in and have a long hard think before you make comment.

Quote:However, thanks for your work

This I see a lot.... Making this comment at the end of your incredibly rude and thoughtless statements does not justify it or make it okay. Nice try, but no.

It's akin to saying "You're fat and you're ugly and it's because you're lazy" to a pregnant woman, then adding "no offence meant" and thinking that makes it okay.

Okay, that's my early morning rant for today.

Benjopa, don't take this too personally, you're just one of many but the unfortunate one to incur my mindless ranting.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Hi.
If I had to wager a guess I'd say it would be easier to make a new AFP client from scratch rather than patch the old one.
Not a programmer myself, so I don't know.
Tonight I dance.
righty...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Memphiz Wrote:Sometimes i really wonder what people are thinking about me. But i really should stop that kind of thinking and just ignore it.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=927...tcount=209
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=930...tcount=220

For the last time I'm not lazy!

First of all, i want to excuse me with you because i am not english and my command of the language is not so good to express the correct undertones that in a type of communication as a post in a forum are so important.
I never intend to insult anybody and especially a developer as Memphiz or any other developer because i know exactly that all they do is free and is only for us. In my post i never used word as "lazy" and i don't think that Memphiz is lazy, but, before to reply, it can be enough to give the link to other threads about AFP theme, because i repeat, i didn't wanto to offend anyone.

Cranial Wrote:I think it needs to be pointed out how rude this statement is. The amount of work Memphiz (and all devs) have put into this project is incredible.

I never discuss the efforts of the developer, my was only a question, maybe not correctly expressed.

Cranial Wrote:You know the problem? Just patch it. It's easy, just do it now. For free. NOW.

If i can , i suggest you to turn off the CAPs, because scream is not a good way to speak, and i am not so old to have hearing problem

Cranial Wrote:This I see a lot.... Making this comment at the end of your incredibly rude and thoughtless statements does not justify it or make it okay. Nice try, but no.

It's akin to saying "You're fat and you're ugly and it's because you're lazy" to a pregnant woman, then adding "no offence meant" and thinking that makes it okay.

Okay, that's my early morning rant for today.

Benjopa, don't take this too personally, you're just one of many but the unfortunate one to incur my mindless ranting.

Excuse me, but if my "However, thanks for your work" for you is a nice try, so all your remark about my phrase, is a beautiful try, but no, there are other way to express without the need of shoot sentences, also if this is your "mindless ranting"

P.S.: the comparison that you have done with a pregnant woman is tasteless
Wow! Looks like another argument on the Internet has been won.

No afp for you!
(2012-01-16, 14:50)Benjopa Wrote: I have exactly your same problemSad

@ Memphiz:
However, thanks for your work

I came across this thread while searching for some insight into why XBMC crashes in the middle of a video or when I pause a video that is accessed via an AFP share. You have a valid point. Since AFP is the de facto, most widely used protocol for file sharing on the LAN in the Mac world, why isn't it REALLY supported? I even had one of the devs tell me that most devs are using OS X for their development, so why is this OS X protocol not supported? I found this on the Kodi Wiki for AFP:

Quote:XBMC has AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) client support for media on all platforms. We don't recommend using it, as AFP support in XBMC is very buggy right now.
Attention.png AFP in XBMC is kind of broken and you shouldn't use it:
Most users are reporting crashes when using AFP. This mostly is detectable by seeing something like "1174.20:17:33 T:145559552 ERROR: LIBAFPCLIENT: I have no idea what this is a reply to, id 29249." at the end of the xbmc.log.

The code library we use for AFP is not maintained by the developer anymore, and even Apple seems to be phasing out AFP. Users who have crashing with AFP are advised to switch to another file sharing protocol (e.x. smb or nfs).

Oh really? Then WHY is the AFP protocol allowed at all when adding a video source, if you know it will probably cause crashes. And why, after all this time, wasn't a simple exception handler written to simply trigger an error message and gracefully recover from the error? That's something I run into a lot with this software. If there is a problem opening or resuming a stream, instead of just timing out and throwing an exception and displaying an error message and recovering from the exception, XBMC just crashes. Exception handling is a fundamental requisite of any code worth its salt. There isn't a single media player I know of that crashes just because it can't open a stream. Crashing is not an option. And yet, it seems to be the only option with this software. I suggest that, instead of releasing new versions with cutesy names and lots of little frills, you concentrate on fortifying the core code so it doesn't crash at the drop of a connection. Then maybe people like Benjopa and I won't need to complain about things we shouldn't have to complain about in the first place…

Meanwhile, I switched to NFS. I get it--AFP is NOT supported. There is an excellent article on setting up NFS sharing in the Wiki:

NFS sharing from OS X

It is a little more difficult to set up than adding a share from System Preferences, but not that difficult. So far it is working really well and is probably the best option for OS X users. I deliberately paused a video and left it for an hour, and when I came back, it played without crashing. This is the first time I was able to do this since first adding the AFP share. No more AFP, not that I have any love for it anyway… And SMB is not really a good option as Benjopa points out. Not only is it slow, and can cause crashes, and can prevent a remote Mac from going to sleep unless it is dismounted, it is mostly for Windows and so is a pain to set up and requires third-party drivers and mucking with configuration files for each NTFS drive if you want write capability. I would advise avoiding SMB.
The original AFP open source client got abandoned, and I think that's the code we used. We had no practical way of updating it ourselves. I think a dev started working on a new AFP client, but ran out of time or something. Then Apple said they were going to stop using AFP, and so it seemed pretty pointless to try to fix it.
XBMCMBX sounds like you have some software development background. Well i agree with you that crashing is no option. I disagree with you that exception handling and recovery(!) is an easy task. Please feel free to have a look into that dumbshit of code which is called afpfs-ng and then tell me again how to handle errors in that properly (with working recovery that is).

Glad that the nfs stuff works for you (i have done both supports in Kodi btw - afp and nfs. As you can see it pretty much depends on the used 3rd partylib - afpfs-ng not maintained, libnfs maintained by someone who knows howto properly implement stuff.). So instead of blameing (me in this case) - just think twice when judging in such a huge project that Kodi is (with more then 30 3rd party libraries which we compile for > 5 different platforms).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] XBMC crashing when loading movies from Airport Extreme HDD0