Noob need help XBMC / SAT /
Question 
Hello
I've been reading through the guides and I'm a little confused

I read and searched but nevertheless I still got a lot of questions. I hope somebody may help me.

I assume that most of my questions can be answers in some threats but this forum is so huge that It is rather difficult for a HTPC noob to find his answers , so excuse me in advance if the answer is already out somewhere :-)

Here are my requirements.

I used until today a Popcorn Hour C-200 to play my video's (DVD , DVD ISO , Bluray ISO ,BluRAY Folders, DVD IMG , mkv ( full HD to SD), XVID , DIVX , MOV.

I used YAMJ .

All the movies and Videos are stored on a QNAP NAS.

I want XBMC to replace yamj to play those files.

I should have a Bluray Drive to read DVD Disc and Bluray DISC.
The possibility to rip my bought DVD directly to my NAS would be perfekt.

I use a Dreambox 800 HD to watch TV , in the Dreambox I use CCcam to use my Original PAYTV CARD.

All this should be girlfriend compatible.
So starting trough RemoteControl 99% of daily use should be handled with the remote, autostart of XBMC .....
HDMI output.

Now a few questions.

Hardware :

I build up a lot of PC and working on Unix machines ,so I am not a complete NOOB

is it true that not every chip-set is compatible with XBMC?
Can't I use any PC Hardware?

What are the advantages of using LINUX or Windows in my case? I would prefer LINUX....

How far can this replace my HD Satreceiver (Dreambox) ?

Can the Ripping process be automated ? and a background process ?

I wanted so start the start button on the remote and XBMC will be loaded , how can Watching TV be implemented in XBMC.

Which DVD-S Card is compatible?

Can i use CCCAM?

The conenction from the NAS to the HTPC should be NFS, which seems to me a lot quicker ? Is this possible ?

I would like to use ambilight ,atmolight... for TV and Movies?

Is XMBC automaticly downling Trailers for the movies ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Regards

Chris
Not all hardware is supported by xbmc no, that would just be crazy! They are trying to slim it all down! (i.e. openelec)

In terms of linux or windows...I would go for mediaportal for the backend of your box for tv capture and then xbmc as the frontend as xbmc doesn't officially support tv.
windows I find is also better at simply using the s/s2 cards!

For you it has to be said that it may be easier for a windows media centre setup...auto dvd rip applications etc exist cam functionality is built in?! no workarounds etc, backend/frontend all rolled into one and it is pretty GF friendly! Check out mymovies etc...
I only say as it may be a better solution in your case!
Love XBMC too check this -> HERE (Last Updated: 25/01/2012)

check out the xbmcmediacentre.com competition!

My hate campaign on optical discs started young, sorry I can't help it. :rolleyes:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob need help XBMC / SAT /0