[AppleTV2] Static when playing sound through TV
Hello all,

Since a day or two I've been using Eden on an ATV2.

XBMC has been configured to output audio to a AC3 and DTS compatible receiver. The received which has been hooked up to the TOSlink (optical digital) output of the ATV supports both standards and outputs audio just fine.

My TV, connected with the ATV through HDMI only gives static (very very loud) whenever I play something on the ATV.

Though it's a quick fix to mute te TV and use the receiver instead, it would kind of nice to be able to use the TV's built-in speakers as well. Before I had the ATV I did use an Xbox with XBMC (very very old version) and it this just fine..

Any clues?

Thanks!
You can't have both unless your TV is capable of DTS decoding. Your only option is to run audio to your receiver and route back to your tv after the decoding.
The usual way to do this, is not to. The speakers in your TV are almost certainly of poorer quality than any speakers you've got connected to your receiver and so would just degrade the sound coming from your receiver.

On your old xbox I suspect you used a toslink cable to your receiver and 2 channel RCA connectors to your TV. In that config the audio was being downmixed on only that output before being sent to your TV. The ATV can't downmix one of it's outputs only.

As renhack says, your only real option is to output the audio from your receiver back to your TV, although most receivers don't usually do that in my experience as they don't expect you to want to use your TV's audio system (none of the ones I've had have a 2 channel audio output).

Traditionally you would connect the HDMI to your receiver, and then go from the monitor/TV output in whatever format to your TV so your receiver can overlay it's OSD when required, although if your receiver doesn't have HDMI in or out that would explain your current setup.

If your receiver does have HDMI in/out then you could probably tell it to downmix the audio on the HDMI out to 2 channels, it may even do that automatically since there aren't too many TV's that do DTS decoding Smile
Thanks for the help guys.

Wendo you are absolutely right, my receiver doesn't feature HDMI (too bad, furthermore it's quite an okay Harman Kardon receiver, given its price) so I have to wire all my HDMI devices to the TV directly.

Maybe I should get a new receiver. I'm planning for a new TV and new speakers anyways :-).

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Static when playing sound through TV0