Initial thoughts - New HTPC build
Star 
Triple post!!! Please remove.

Hey guys,

First of all, a big thankyou to all the contributers to this forum. You do a great job and don't even get paid for it!

It's been a while since I built a pc, in fact, for those who remember such technologies, the first pc I ever built used an Intel 386 SX cpu and the last one I built used an Intel 486 DX2 which was pretty cutting edge stuff! Things have changed a little since then therefore before I go and hit the 'buy' button I would like you to cast your eyes over my component list to make sure I'm on the right track. I've read the excellent stickies and countless threads to get a real world idea of what's what but it can become a bit of a mush after a while.

I've been running XBMC for a couple of years now using an old laptop, an external 5.1 sound card and the vga port but it's time for a change, especially with Eden in beta. I use a NAS for all my storage and my AV all goes through an Onkyo TX-NR609.

Using Eskro's grouping model I suppose I'm a group 5 but want the ability to become a group 6/7 without throwing anything away. The HTPC needs to be able to run Linux and be used as a general (non-gaming) PC now and again. I will dual boot it with Win 7 and eventually stick with whatever works out best for me until such time as my requirements change.

The component list is also based on what I can find locally, I live in the UK.

So here it is:

[Case] Silverstone Milo ML03B

[Mobo] Asus P8H67-M PRO Rev.3.0, Intel H67, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, RAID SATA, PCIe 2.0 (x16), Micro ATX

[CPU/GPU] Intel Core i3 2105, S1155, Sdy Bridge, 3.1GHz, 5GT/s, HD3000 IGP

[Storage] 60GB Corsair Force Series GT, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD

[RAM] 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 Classic, PC3-10666 (1333)

[PSU] 350W PSU, Be Quiet Efficient Power BN185, 92% Eff', 80 PLUS Gold

[Case fans] 2 * 80mm SilenX iXtrema Pro ( 80x80x15mm )

The idea here is the ability to add to it as my needs change and future proof it as much as I can without throwing huge amounts of cash at it. And as they say, 'silence is golden' and this setup needs to be whisper quiet.

The only issue I've got at the moment is the PSU. This has taken me the longest to figure out and the one above is still out of stock at Scan. I've sourced all the bits from Scan but, to any other Brits on this forum, where else (on-line) is good for this stuff? I've been out of the country for a few years and have no idea who the decent, reliable & cheap retailers are these days.

Thanks in advance chaps. Much appreciate it.

Matt

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Initial thoughts - New HTPC build0