Lowest TDP Mini-ITX build that can play 1080P?
There are definitely some advantages to the AMD Fusion (I think it was brought up briefly in the first page).

It would be cheaper and lower powered (on most occasions... i3 idle looks to be lower). Unless that is a newer faster version, I have seen people on here complain about a slow xbmc GUI with the e350.

I think I pretty much have 3 distinct options that all have their pros and cons.

AMD Fusion = lowest cost by far, low power, lowest performance
A6-3500 = future proof graphics, medium cost, highest TDP
I3-2100T = low TDP (especially idling), high cost, decent graphics

Guess it comes down to the user and what I'm going to do.

Mostly XBMC with a lot of streaming video plugins (I live in KC so I am expecting to get Google Fiber by the time this is built). So needs to handle streaming 1080P flawlessly. I "might" play some N64 ROMs on it. Might. That's about it. If it came down to it I would also like this to be able to be a great desktop PC as well. If it became my desktop PC I might play a few more games, but that whole situation is unlikely.

Thanks guys.
regnets Wrote:I don't get it.

Why nobody is recommending the AMD Fusion Plattform?

I got a system with a ASRock E350M1/USB3 and a brick power supply.

It uses 18 Watt in idle and 16 Watt while media Playback (no gui to render).

If you get the asrock mainboard, you'll found a cir header on the mainboard. With this header you're apple to start your pc from s5 via ir remote.

The XBMC gui is really snappy, even with the new xperience1080 skin (under linux).

greetz

regnets

Well, according to this : E-350 vs i3-2100T power consumption, there's no advantage using the E-350 over the i3-2100T for media playback. You get lower power consumption and a faster CPU with the i3-2100T. Idle power consumption is also lower on the i3-2100T.

video drivers are not that good for the i3, but you can still play 1080p files flawlessly with software decode only.

Though, with that being said, I like my A6-3500! However, my HTPC is open 2 hours per day, so I don't care much for power consumption, except for the heat that it produce. However, the A6-3500 runs quite cool. Never above 40C during media playback.
Balinus Wrote:Under playback conditions it will run about 35W and idle at ~28W. Under full load, it will max at around 85W.

If you plan to have lots of high load usage, the Intel CPU are better for power consumption. At playback, it's about the same. But you don't need an additional video card with the AMD A6-3500. Though, some people will argue that you can software decode with the Intel and that you won't need a video card (integrated or descrete).

I have an A6-3500 system. But it doesn't play well all HD content I have. I started a new topic about this.
It could be only me or hard disk or windows/driver configuration which makes BD backups look like slideshow.
But I can't find any resources how to solve that.
bat0nas
HW:
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB + Denon AVR-1912
SW: Raspbian + Kodi
       (always latest version and up to date)
Balinus Wrote:Though, with that being said, I like my A6-3500! However, my HTPC is open 2 hours per day, so I don't care much for power consumption, except for the heat that it produce. However, the A6-3500 runs quite cool. Never above 40C during media playback.
+1, (A6-3500/A6-3600+HD6530D and A8-3800+HD6550D) are simply the best low power all-in-one APU. It'll playback BD in full 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD audio, 3d and some newer games too!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bat0nas Wrote:I have an A6-3500 system. But it doesn't play well all HD content I have. I started a new topic about this.
It could be only me or hard disk or windows/driver configuration which makes BD backups look like slideshow.

I've answered in your thread.

Here's the answer, to the benefit of others here :

"Try disabling all post-processing in the ATI drivers (catalyst center). Also, if enabled, disable the "Sync playback to display" and "Adjust framerate to ...?" in XBMC.

I had stuttering issue at first with the same APU with all these post-processing options with 1080p files (Planet Earth... 5GB for 50min). "
Balinus Wrote:Well, according to this : E-350 vs i3-2100T power consumption, there's no advantage using the E-350 over the i3-2100T for media playback. You get lower power consumption and a faster CPU with the i3-2100T. Idle power consumption is also lower on the i3-2100T.

video drivers are not that good for the i3, but you can still play 1080p files flawlessly with software decode only.

Though, with that being said, I like my A6-3500! However, my HTPC is open 2 hours per day, so I don't care much for power consumption, except for the heat that it produce. However, the A6-3500 runs quite cool. Never above 40C during media playback.

I guess it really depends on what I do with my NAS situation.

The A6-3500 definitely makes the most sense if my HTPC is only going to be on when I am using it (if I could have it start up or wake from sleep directly into XBMC that would be great... I'm sure there is an easy way). With that cpu and a Sata3 SSD people would probably have to wait like 5 seconds before XBMC loads. So... still not sure. Prefer to have my HTPC on 24/7, but that was also when I was using it as my server. This build will not be used as a server (my old build will become a server as soon as this is done). I just don't want to have 2 high TDP computers on in the house 24/7. Also I am building this because I am using the cheapest ATX case I could find for my current build (because I got a great deal on an ATX mobo) and it is super ugly and too loud (although most people don't notice) to be right next to the TV.

EDIT: Also prefer to have my HTPC on 24/7 because I have a bunch of roommates that use it and I don't want to know what they might do if it is off and they get confused and try to do something dumb.
bat0nas Wrote:I have an A6-3500 system. But it doesn't play well all HD content I have. I started a new topic about this.
Are all your video drivers up todate? You can check out the latest driver at your mobo website and from this AMD website- Graphics Drivers & Software.

With proper driver and configuration, it should playback HD content fine because my lesser E350M1 (1.6ghz) can playback 1080P and bitstreaming fine!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
cwide Wrote:I guess it really depends on what I do with my NAS situation.

The A6-3500 definitely makes the most sense if my HTPC is only going to be on when I am using it (if I could have it start up or wake from sleep directly into XBMC that would be great... I'm sure there is an easy way). With that cpu and a Sata3 SSD people would probably have to wait like 5 seconds before XBMC loads. So... still not sure. Prefer to have my HTPC on 24/7, but that was also when I was using it as my server. This build will not be used as a server (my old build will become a server as soon as this is done). I just don't want to have 2 high TDP computers on in the house 24/7. Also I am building this because I am using the cheapest ATX case I could find for my current build (because I got a great deal on an ATX mobo) and it is super ugly and too loud (although most people don't notice) to be right next to the TV.

EDIT: Also prefer to have my HTPC on 24/7 because I have a bunch of roommates that use it and I don't want to know what they might do if it is off and they get confused and try to do something dumb.

With any choice you make, you will be able to wakeup from sleep. If you disable the UAC of W7, it will go directly in XBMC. Easy as powering on the TV. Easier than starting your microwave oven. With your HTPC remote, you just press "On".

Idle power difference between all three choice is not that great (and it almost disappear during media playback). It shouldn't be your first concern (maybe the 2nd though!). Look for what you intend to use it and choose your platform accordingly.

I took the A6-3500 because I knew that 90% of the use would be for media playback in XBMC and the 10% remaining for some casual gaming (Assassin's creed so far! and tested some emulators). This APU was the perfect compromise between all the variables.
Thanks to everyone who responded!

I think I have all the information I need when the time comes (probably a few weeks to a month away) to make a decision.

Hopefully budget doesn't decide it for me.

I did run some numbers in case anyone was interested and the i3-2100T build did come up about $20 cheaper than the A6-3500 build. The price difference was mostly because of the case I want to use (Wesena ITX2... have to get a different HSF for A6 build). Still a $400-420 build for both (in the US + microcenter) which is about $200 more than I paid for my current setup. Might have priced myself out for an all at once build and might just have to bargain hunt for a month or so.

Anyway, thanks again.
Great! Good hunt.

NB: Maybe you won't need the aftermarket HSF. On the ITX7, there is "limited" space because there's a bracket for a 3.5 HDD. If you don't plan to use a 3.5HDD, you can bend the bracket, which gives you about 10mm more clearance.

The HSF height of the A6-3500 is 48mm, from the top of the motherboard.
o.O

i though the A6-3500 is 40mm from complete bottom HeatSink to complete top of Fan
I am going with the ITX2 case, which is smaller.

The max height of anything in that case (with the HDD+ODD tray) is 45 mm.

I read that the stock HSF for the A6-3500 is ~44 mm.

That would probably be pushing it.. especially with airflow and noise?

I would probably get the Gelid 28 mm HSF if I went that route. It's only $20+10 shipping (from one site I've looked at).

My budget is getting pummeled everyday by new student loans so I don't know what will happen.... might have to stick with the incredible hulk ATX machine for a while. We'll see. The longer I wait the more prices should go down right?
Nice little E-350 box at Microcenter for $279:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0373676

Just needs a DVI to HDMI dongle

Could always upgrade to an SSD down the road or transfer everything to an aftermarket case when funds allow.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
eskro Wrote:o.O

i though the A6-3500 is 40mm from complete bottom HeatSink to complete top of Fan

No. The fan is 20mm and the heatsink is 20, BUT --> once installed, there's an additional ~5-8mm between the heatsink and the fan. 48mm is a conservative value, maybe it's closer to 45mm. Also, 48mm is from the top of the MB, once the HSF is installed. So, you add a couple mm here from the MB. Hence my ~48mm.

cwide, 1mm clearance between the top of the case and the fan is not enough for proper air circulation. Unless the 45mm clearance is for the metal tray of the ODD?
Mallet21 Wrote:Nice little E-350 box at Microcenter for $279:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0373676

Just needs a DVI to HDMI dongle

Could always upgrade to an SSD down the road or transfer everything to an aftermarket case when funds allow.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I think I'm pretty sold on the case/A6-3500 or i3-2100T.

If I want to do it soon I could save money by removing the HDD+ODD tray and going A6-3500, splitting RAM between my 2 systems (2 GB each), and splitting my two 2.5" HDDs between my current systems and hold off on an SSD for a while.

Then I can get an aftermarket HSF, SSD, more RAM, and slot loading ODD when the budget allows.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lowest TDP Mini-ITX build that can play 1080P?0