Initial thoughts - New HTPC build
Star 
Hey guys,

First of all, a big thankyou to all the contributers to this forum. You do a great job and don't even get paid for it!

It's been a while since I built a pc, in fact, for those who remember such technologies, the first pc I ever built used an Intel 386 SX cpu and the last one I built used an Intel 486 DX2 which was pretty cutting edge stuff! Things have changed a little since then therefore before I go and hit the 'buy' button I would like you to cast your eyes over my component list to make sure I'm on the right track. I've read the excellent stickies and countless threads to get a real world idea of what's what but it can become a bit of a mush after a while.

I've been running XBMC for a couple of years now using an old laptop, an external 5.1 sound card and the vga port but it's time for a change, especially with Eden in beta. I use a NAS for all my storage and my AV all goes through an Onkyo TX-NR609.

Using Eskro's grouping model I suppose I'm a group 5 but want the ability to become a group 6/7 without throwing anything away. The HTPC needs to be able to run Linux and be used as a general (non-gaming) PC now and again. I will dual boot it with Win 7 and eventually stick with whatever works out best for me until such time as my requirements change.

The component list is also based on what I can find locally, I live in the UK.

So here it is:

[Case] Silverstone Milo ML03B

[Mobo] Asus P8H67-M PRO Rev.3.0, Intel H67, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, RAID SATA, PCIe 2.0 (x16), Micro ATX

[CPU/GPU] Intel Core i3 2105, S1155, Sdy Bridge, 3.1GHz, 5GT/s, HD3000 IGP

[Storage] 60GB Corsair Force Series GT, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD

[RAM] 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 Classic, PC3-10666 (1333)

[PSU] 350W PSU, Be Quiet Efficient Power BN185, 92% Eff', 80 PLUS Gold

[Case fans] 2 * 80mm SilenX iXtrema Pro ( 80x80x15mm )

The idea here is the ability to add to it as my needs change and future proof it as much as I can without throwing huge amounts of cash at it. And as they say, 'silence is golden' and this setup needs to be whisper quiet.

The only issue I've got at the moment is the PSU. This has taken me the longest to figure out and the one above is still out of stock at Scan. I've sourced all the bits from Scan but, to any other Brits on this forum, where else (on-line) is good for this stuff? I've been out of the country for a few years and have no idea who the decent, reliable & cheap retailers are these days.

Thanks in advance chaps. Much appreciate it.

Matt
Be-Quiet Pure Power L7 530W BN106

google shopping UK is your friend http://www.google.co.uk/shopping?hl=en&tab=ff
Thanks Eskro. I'd checked Google Shopping already but it didn't list anywhere that had it in stock that was also competitive price wise.

And it's the 350W I'm after, not the 530W. I'm willing to consider other PSU's which are quiet and have a decent efficiency rating.
antec neo eco OR seasonic Big Grin
Love XBMC too check this -> HERE (Last Updated: 25/01/2012)

check out the xbmcmediacentre.com competition!

My hate campaign on optical discs started young, sorry I can't help it. :rolleyes:
matteegee Wrote:[CPU/GPU] Intel Core i3 2105, S1155, Sdy Bridge, 3.1GHz, 5GT/s, HD3000 IGP

Matt
If all-in-one CPU is what you are after, I'm suggesting AMD A8-3870 instead. You'll have easier playback experience with AMD HD6550D iGPU. It supports all the latest technologies, including DTS-HD, TrueHD, 3d, some newer games, etc. You can buy it from here- AMD Llano A8 3870K 3.0GHz Quad Core Accelerated Processing Unit with Enhanced Virus Protection (Socket FM1, AMD Radeon HD 6550D).

Here are some of the reviews on the model it replaced- AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
i wont go that far in saying the A8-3870K replaces the A8-3850...
For those who really dont plan to do some OverClocking,
the A8-3850 is still a good choice.
yeah ok, the price difference isnt huge at this point, roughly ~$15..
but again, for non-overclockers, i'd save $15 bucks.
now back on PSU's...
Antec Neo Eco 450W ~£34.40 shipped
i installed that one in my brothers PC, i cant hear it at all until i put my ears on it.
its big 120mm cooling fan really keeps it quiet!!
eskro Wrote:i wont go that far in saying the A8-3870K replaces the A8-3850...

bluray Wrote:If all-in-one CPU is what you are after, I'm suggesting AMD A8-3870 instead. You'll have easier playback experience with AMD HD6550D iGPU. It supports all the latest technologies, including DTS-HD, TrueHD, 3d, some newer games, etc. You can buy it from here- AMD Llano A8 3870K 3.0GHz Quad Core Accelerated Processing Unit with Enhanced Virus Protection (Socket FM1, AMD Radeon HD 6550D).

Here are some of the reviews on the model it replaced- AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor.

I chose the Intel because I thought there was more support for Linux over the AMD? Did I dream this or is that true? As I said, I've read that much lately it's all become a bit of a mush.

I use an AMD Phenom in my office PC so it's not as tho I'm strictly an Intel fanboy. I'm willing to choose either.

And what about the macroblocking issue, is that only on Intel?

As this is a 100W chip, will the increased power consumption mean I need more cooling which in turn will increase noise?

What mobo is best for the AMD - this one?
eskro Wrote:now back on PSU's...
Antec Neo Eco 450W ~£34.40 shipped
i installed that one in my brothers PC, i cant hear it at all until i put my ears on it.
its big 120mm cooling fan really keeps it quiet!!

Nice find Eskro. I think I'll go with that.

Actually, will that fit in the case with a Bluray drive (which I intend to get at some point)?

86 mm (H) x 150 mm (W) x 150 mm (D)
oh its true, your case is the Silverstone Milo ML03B.
sorry, sometimes, i answer so much on the forum and even via PM,
i dont always remember which guys have what.

ok so, for the Silverstone Milo ML03B,
true, go for a PowerSupply thats not too deep...
like 5.5" or less....
Silverstone Strider 400W // Silverpower (SeaSonic) 400W // Antec EarthWatts 380W

and yes, forget AMD if your going with LINUX, keep INTEL...

Macroblocking issue is on intel's side but on windows as far as i know.

and about the Cooler, the stock one is fair cuz if not, they wouldnt ship it to you.
but if your not happy with its noise, cuz to me, AMD stock coolers are a little loud,
you'll have to make sure to get a 100W TDP CPU Cooler....
for you in UK, its easier to get such a thing in a low profile size.
since u cant get a big cooler in the case you chose of course..
some low profile coolers for the 100W TDP AMD CPU's are made by TITAN & COOLERMASTER.

and if u plan on changing the stock cooler,
i'd go for a low profile RAM kit, just to avoid clearance issues...
we dont like that Tongue
Corsair Vengeance LowProfile 2x2GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 1.5V

and, why not the Asus P8H61-M LX REV3 motherboard?
And as a fellow Brit on the forum...
Kikatek have the best deals on RAM Wink
Here 8gb for £37

EVEN cheaper Wink Big Grin
Here
Love XBMC too check this -> HERE (Last Updated: 25/01/2012)

check out the xbmcmediacentre.com competition!

My hate campaign on optical discs started young, sorry I can't help it. :rolleyes:
So I will stick with the Intel then. I've gone with the P867M-Pro because is has Sata III supoort. I think the one you mention doesn't have HDMI either.

Re - the PSU, now you see my issues with the decision. I didn't think finding the PSU would be so hard. The things to consider are size, power, efficiency and noise.

I'll check the other possiblilities, cheers Eskro.

Thanks for heads up on the RAM Problaze.
Ok, so I've found a PSU that's cheap and gets decent reviews. For the price, it's worth giving a go and 'recycling' if it turns out to be rubbish.

Coolermaster GX RS450

I've hit the buy button for all components with the only change being the SSD. I've now gone with the 60GB SSD Corsair Force Series 3 as the GT was out of stock.

There's mixed reviews for a lot of the SSD's out there so I'll see how I go.

Thanks to all for your help.

Cheers

Matt
eskro Wrote:i wont go that far in saying the A8-3870K replaces the A8-3850...
You're missing the point. It's A8-3870 3.0ghz vs A8-3850 2.9ghz, and the overclock advantage for having A8-3870. That is not the point either. The point is that at certain market/retailer don't carry A8-3850 anymore, and they only carry the new version (A8-3870).
matteegee Wrote:I chose the Intel because I thought there was more support for Linux over the AMD? Did I dream this or is that true? As I said, I've read that much lately it's all become a bit of a mush.

I use an AMD Phenom in my office PC so it's not as tho I'm strictly an Intel fanboy. I'm willing to choose either.

And what about the macroblocking issue, is that only on Intel?

As this is a 100W chip, will the increased power consumption mean I need more cooling which in turn will increase noise?

What mobo is best for the AMD - this one?
I'm a Windows person, and I never use Linux. AMD+W7+XBMC= no macroblocking. As for the all-in-one chip, A8-3870K+HD6550D (overclocking, crossfire, etc) is the best on the market now and Trinity is coming out this year! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Initial thoughts - New HTPC build0