Initial thoughts - New HTPC build
matteegee Wrote:Re - the PSU, now you see my issues with the decision. I didn't think finding the PSU would be so hard. The things to consider are size, power, efficiency and noise.

Thanks for heads up on the RAM Problaze.
If you can find this "Antec EA-380D Power Supply EA-380D", it's a good PSU. It got high rating by users everywhere!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
matteegee Wrote:I've gone with the P867M-Pro because is has Sata III supoort. I think the one you mention doesn't have HDMI either.

oh so u dont plan on buying a GPU?
you'll use i3's onboard video?
then if so, yes, my board doesnt have HDMI because i suggest to add a GPU.
bluray Wrote:You're missing the point. It's A8-3870 3.0ghz vs A8-3850 2.9ghz, and the overclock advantage for having A8-3870. That is not the point either. The point is that at certain market/retailer don't carry A8-3850 anymore, and they only carry the new version (A8-3870).

A8-3870 3.0ghz vs A8-3850, for non-overclockers, is it worth $15 more?
for a tiny 0.1hgz more? o.O

LoL
bluray Wrote:If you can find this "Antec EA-380D Power Supply EA-380D", it's a good PSU. It got high rating by users everywhere!

I'll see how I go with the one i've ordered (Coolermaster GX RS450) and have a rethink if it's no good. Cheers.
matteegee Wrote:I've hit the buy button for all components with the only change being the SSD. I've now gone with the 60GB SSD Corsair Force Series 3 as the GT was out of stock.

since its a SandForce controlled SSD, make sure to update the firmware
before installing your Operating System.
it might come already updated, but, i'd just make sure.
SandForce SSD's caused alot of BDSO's....
Apparently fixed now with the firmware update.
eskro Wrote:oh so u dont plan on buying a GPU?
you'll use i3's onboard video?
then if so, yes, my board doesnt have HDMI because i suggest to add a GPU.

Yeah I'm going to go without the extra card for now until I have a real need for it. Cheers.
oh ok, then, yeah, you made your homework, all is good now Tongue

that CoolerMaster PSU does have great reviews, good catch, let see how it goes.
I bought an Asus P8H67-M-LE and was unable to use it for a linux based build. The damn thing would not suspend/resume properly. Tried with Dharma, Eden, Oneiric, Natty, Maverick and various OpenElec builds. It would go to sleep, but nothing (remote, keyboard, nor power button) would bring it back to life. This was with the most recent BIOS at the time (late December). Resume worked fine in windows, so I don't believe it was just a defective board. Especially since when I spoke with Asus tech support, the only thing they could recommend was switching to Windows (seriously). It's not the exact same board as you're looking at, but you should do a bit of research to see if yours may have similar issues.

I have since replaced the mobo with a gigabyte GA-H61M. Not as feature packed, but it is working without issue.

There are still a few hoops you need to jump through when using SandyBridge with Linux to make everything "perfect". Alanwww1 has a great thread going that is kept very current: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114368

Eskro is a self proclaimed Windows only user. And a lot of things that work right out of the box with windows require numerous hours of work for a Linux-based build. In my experience, if you want it to work without having to do a LOT of extra work, you're best off using hardware that someone explicity confirms to be working in an XBMC Live, Linux or OpenElec build.
eskro Wrote:since its a SandForce controlled SSD, make sure to update the firmware
before installing your Operating System.
it might come already updated, but, i'd just make sure.
SandForce SSD's caused alot of BDSO's....
Apparently fixed now with the firmware update.

Good advice Eskro. I'd already heard about this elsewhere but haven't had any first hand experience yet. Hopefully it will be a painless process Smile
shouldnt be hard at all to do,
and also, use AHCI as sata type in your BIOS.
this will ensure you get the most performance out of your SSD.
rbrohman Wrote:I bought an Asus P8H67-M-LE and was unable to use it for a linux based build. The damn thing would not suspend/resume properly. Tried with Dharma, Eden, Oneiric, Natty, Maverick and various OpenElec builds. It would go to sleep, but nothing (remote, keyboard, nor power button) would bring it back to life. This was with the most recent BIOS at the time (late December). Resume worked fine in windows, so I don't believe it was just a defective board. Especially since when I spoke with Asus tech support, the only thing they could recommend was switching to Windows (seriously). It's not the exact same board as you're looking at, but you should do a bit of research to see if yours may have similar issues.

I have since replaced the mobo with a gigabyte GA-H61M. Not as feature packed, but it is working without issue.

There are still a few hoops you need to jump through when using SandyBridge with Linux to make everything "perfect". Alanwww1 has a great thread going that is kept very current: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114368

Eskro is a self proclaimed Windows only user. And a lot of things that work right out of the box with windows require numerous hours of work for a Linux-based build. In my experience, if you want it to work without having to do a LOT of extra work, you're best off using hardware that someone explicity confirms to be working in an XBMC Live, Linux or OpenElec build.

Ok rbrohman, thanks for the info. I'll check out that post.

I intend to slap Win7 on it first of all and follow that up with Linux once I'm happy everything is working as it should be.
one thing matteegee,
make sure you run the Firmware update on your SSD drive while sata type is in IDE mode.
once done, and before install your operating system,
set your sata type from IDE to AHCI!!
I just talked with Patriot tech support and asked them about it so,
simply follow the upgrade steps in the PDF by the book!
Hi all,

Did a search on p8h67-m-le and founf this topic. Using this board to try and and make an unraid server. Am using 3 WD drives. Cannot get the bios to switch to AHCI mode. AS they are greyed out. Anyone with experience with this board? Am I overlooking something?

JP
hard to say, u have the latest BIOS version?
if not, updating could help.

also, best to contact their tech support.

good luck

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Initial thoughts - New HTPC build0