[Windows] LPCM Output of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio?
I'm going to try to sound as intelligent as I can here, but am really looking for guidance.

Right now, I have an older AVR (Denon 2807) that does not support the HD audio formats (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio). It supports Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, DTS 96/24, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 processing.

Prior to my HTPC adventure, I would use my PS3 for bluray playback. The PS3 would decode the HD Audio, and output the PCM audio to my receiver. This gives me the best of both worlds. Lossless audio, and I don't have to go buy a new AVR that supports the newest codecs.

The Question
Is it possible to configure my XBMC (running the Eden beta, on Win7 64 bit - with a Nvidia GT520 Video Card) to decode the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio tracks, and output PCM over HDMI to my reciever?

Thanks!
So after phrasing my question here, the proper google search was found.. And to avoid being DenverCoder9 in the future, (you know, just in case) ... ...

http://xkcd.com/979/

At the time of this posting, my googleing powers determined that this is not possible. The best one can hope for is passthrough of the HBR - (native High Bit Rate Decoders: Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS-HD MA)

Off to shop for a new Preamp/AVR.
Ahhh I have fond memories of that amp Wink

Most peeps are feverishly hoping for the opposite direction: pure bitstreaming of the lossless formats to their receivers. That is why the sheer numbers interested in the upcoming AudioEngine branch, and the workaround DSPlayer.

There is in theory no loss of audio quality if XBMC were to decode the HD formats and send them losslessly as multichannel PCM, which XBMC does with TrueHD IIRC, but that won't help right now with DTS-MA nor light up those lights on the receiver lol. It also makes far more sense to let the receiver do the decompressing to relieve load on your CPU.

Short answer is no - there is no easy way. Glad that getting a newer amp is an option for you and does stand you well for the future.

Even the new AE does not do the decode of DTS-MA but passes it on to the amp. That may change in the future, but it's kind of regressing.

By the way, I pissed myself reading "DenverCoder9" - haven't we all been there Laugh
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I will suggest one thing if you decide to stick with that amp:

You can farm out to another "media player" by launching it from XBMC when playing certain movie types (i.e. .mkv's with HD audio). Two are recommended: DSPlayer which is more tightly integrated with XBMC, or MPC-HC.

The normal advantage to doing this is you can bitstream HD. However in your case it will give you the option to decode these formats (via FFDShow codecs) to LPCM.

There are many threads here for "using an external player" (search for that) and DSPlayer. I'll also attach this link to a forum discussing outputting HD Audio as LPCM using FFDShow codecs.

These take a little work, and you'll have some reading to do, but if it's not the time to get a new receiver then give it a go!
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] LPCM Output of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio?0