[Windows] Run Couchpotato, SickBeard and SABNZBD as Services
I managed to get all the above running as services in Windows on Server 2008 by using the method I documented here on my blog..

The benefits are that they start with Windows rather than as a log on script. I guess you could also run use Task Scheduler as well but I not sure how you would configure that.

http://techbungalow.com/2012/run-any-pro...n-windows/

I hope it helps someone create a slightly more automated configuration on their server.
Paraffin Wrote:I managed to get all the above running as services in Windows on Server 2008 by using the method I documented here on my blog..

The benefits are that they start with Windows rather than as a log on script. I guess you could also run use Task Scheduler as well but I not sure how you would configure that.

http://techbungalow.com/2012/run-any-pro...n-windows/

I hope it helps someone create a slightly more automated configuration on their server.

Not sure your post is in the right area...
I would suggest using the program "Any Service Installer by Terry" less chance of messing something up...

I personally find it eaiser to load Eventghost as a service then from their all you need to do is add the exe you want to load as a startup program... this gives you flexability to add and remove without going through windows services.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Yeah I guess "Any Service Installer by Terry" simplifies the same process I have used.

EventGhost was something I had not thought of because it looked like something I had to learn to use and for something this simple looks overkill. I guess I would agree with you if I was using EventGhost already
pardon my ignorance, but what is the advantage of running them as a service as opposed to just putting them in the startup folder?
Athlon x2 3.0GHz, 4GB, 80GB Intel 320 SSD, 3.5TB NAS4FREE, OpenElec, Frodo, Xperience 1080
marcdd2 Wrote:pardon my ignorance, but what is the advantage of running them as a service as opposed to just putting them in the startup folder?
Generally, this could mean two things:
1. There is no actual need for an interactive user logon if the service runs as a system-user. This would mean that the server simply has to boot rather than someone logging onto it (and also - you could kill a session without any repercussions)

2. It is user-wide - every user who logs in, has those programs running as a service.

I however still use the startup-folder-method since I don't run a server but just do it on my Desktop. But if you do run indeed a server, this is another step to get it headless as possible.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

tried this but sickbeard just starts then stops..CP works fine and Sab has a exe for running as service so your method isnt necessary. Any insight on why Sickbeard isnt working?

Edit: Forgot to say im using WHS2011

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
This is much easier to do with the task scheduler, set it to launch the .exe at startup, set it to run wheter the user is logged in or not and with the highest priveleges, then modify it once created to delayed to 1min after startup in the trigger tab. See screenies.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo...ule-a-task

saitoh183 Wrote:tried this but sickbeard just starts then stops..CP works fine and Sab has a exe for running as service so your method isnt necessary. Any insight on why Sickbeard isnt working?

Edit: Forgot to say im using WHS2011
logfile? error-message?
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

HenryFord Wrote:logfile? error-message?

CP isnt working actually...the renaming par isnt working...As for sickbeard, i got no logs just that that the service starts and stops. message does pop up saying that this might be because service is not needed or something is using the program but its off and nothing in task manager

Code:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'V:\\Movies\\The Boondock Saints (1999)\\The Boondock Saints (1999).mkv'
  File "..\build\pyi.win32\CouchPotato\outPYZ1.pyz/shutil", line 82, in copyfile
  File "..\build\pyi.win32\CouchPotato\outPYZ1.pyz/shutil", line 127, in copy2
  File "..\build\pyi.win32\CouchPotato\outPYZ1.pyz/shutil", line 298, in move
    shutil.move(old, dest)
  File "C:/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/_MEI42842\app\lib\cron\renamer.py", line 506, in _move
    if not _move(old, dest):
  File "C:/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/_MEI42842\app\lib\cron\renamer.py", line 383, in renameFiles
    finalDestination = self.renameFiles(movie)
  File "C:/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/_MEI42842\app\lib\cron\renamer.py", line 105, in doRename
    self.doRename()
  File "C:/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp/_MEI42842\app\lib\cron\renamer.py", line 61, in run
16:01:01 ERROR [     app.lib.cron.renamer] Traceback (most recent call last):
16:01:01 ERROR [     app.lib.cron.renamer] !!Uncought exception in renamer thread.
16:01:01 INFO  [     app.lib.cron.renamer] Moving file "I:\ServerFolders\Download_movies\The Boondock Saints 1999 Unrated 720p BluRay DTS x264 CtrlHD\The.Boondock.Saints.1999.Unrated.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-CtrlHD.mkv" to V:\Movies\The Boondock Saints (1999)\The Boondock Saints (1999).mkv.
16:01:01 INFO  [     app.lib.cron.renamer] Quality Old: 0, New 6727.
16:01:01 ERROR [     app.lib.cron.renamer] Failed changing permissions V:\Movies\The Boondock Saints (1999)
16:01:01 INFO  [     app.lib.cron.renamer] Creating directory V:\Movies\The Boondock Saints (1999)
16:01:01 INFO  [     app.lib.cron.renamer] Trying to find a home for: The.Boondock.Saints.1999.Unrated.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-CtrlHD.mkv
16:01:01 INFO  [          app.lib.library] Unable to fetch audio/video details for I:\ServerFolders\Download_movies\The Boondock Saints 1999 Unrated 720p BluRay DTS x264 CtrlHD\The.Boondock.Saints.1999.Unrated.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-CtrlHD.mkv
16:01:01 INFO  [          app.lib.library] The Boondock Saints 1999 Unrated 720p BluRay DTS x264 CtrlHD's group name is CtrlHD
16:01:01 INFO  [          app.lib.library] Found movie via MovieQueue.

Running it normally, all is good. I put my administrator account as user for the service

I know the task-schedule method but i want it as a service because its easier to manipulate from remote locations for me

don't know about the cp-errors... sorry (seems like the folder is not available, could be due to a number of reasons...)

Do you find anything regarding the service-startup/stop in the windows event logs? Can you post the message that pops up?
(By the way: I would recommend running sickbeard from python as well, since you have it installed anyway...)

Why exactly is remote manipulation necessary? I can't think of a good reason Smile

HenryFord Wrote:don't know about the cp-errors... sorry (seems like the folder is not available, could be due to a number of reasons...)
It works just fine when i dont run it as service...i know its a permission issue just dont know who to fix it.
HenryFord Wrote:Do you find anything regarding the service-startup/stop in the windows event logs? Can you post the message that pops up?

Nothing in event viewer...Msg: The Sickbeard services on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by others services or programs.
HenryFord Wrote:(By the way: I would recommend running sickbeard from python as well, since you have it installed anyway...)

What do you mean? running the .py file instead? I checked my folder and i didnt see it..only exe. What i downloaded was a zip that i extracted and then ran.
HenryFord Wrote:Why exactly is remote manipulation necessary? I can't think of a good reason Smile
nvm because when i think about it, it wouldnt need remote access since they all have a web uiBig Grin

saitoh183 Wrote:What do you mean? running the .py file instead? I checked my folder and i didnt see it..only exe. What i downloaded was a zip that i extracted and then ran.
Yip, you have to get it first from here though (the database and ini-file is portable, you you can just use them in the python-version as well):
https://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/zipball/master

Ok i will try that later...what is the difference vs the exe version? and do i need to install python 2.7 on my server for it to work?

saitoh183 Wrote:Ok i will try that later...what is the difference vs the exe version? and do i need to install python 2.7 on my server for it to work?
2.6 should be sufficent. The python version is always up-to-date, the exe-version isn't Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Run Couchpotato, SickBeard and SABNZBD as Services1