Samba Shares dissapear and i get connection timed out error
this problem i am having is currently with openelec but have heard people using xbmc live having the same problem

one minute i can have all my shared folders over my lan to my server connection to my htpc then i can simply either reboot or stop and start a new video and i get a window pop up telling if i would like to remove the file from the library and when i try to access network shares in the filemanager or even add new shares to my library when i go to the samba option the folder called "Workgroup" that usually is in there has dissapeared or i get a Connection Timed Out error

and to solve this i have to restart my file server and my htpc just to get them to appear again this happens quite often i know the connection still work though as the internet connection sharing still work an i can watch youtube video from within openelec it just blocks my files from streaming

has anyone had this problem and found a solution i read something about windows and openelec (linux) fighting to be the master controller of the network so i have tried to manually assign ip addresses to each pc but doesn't really fix the problem

i also know it is not my router as i just upgraded my router yesterday and today it is doing it again

it is driving me nuts trying to get it to work i love openelec but this is putting me off from using it
This is just a shot in the dark and may not have anything to do with your problem but have you checked your network card properties under power management to make sure your computer isn't shutting down your network card?
LH88 Wrote:This is just a shot in the dark and may not have anything to do with your problem but have you checked your network card properties under power management to make sure your computer isn't shutting down your network card?

i have turned off that "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" option in both my main computer and the server as they are both running windows 7

however as openelec is a embedded linux version of xbmc i am not sure if this option is even enable and if so how i would turn it off on these devices as i do not have access to any sort of control panel within this openelec

currently i have stop using the homegroup sharing in windows 7 and just networked the shares manually it will take a couple of days to fully test if this sorts the problem i have also i have set my lan address to static ip address so each system has the same ip address everytime

if after a couple days i have no issues i will post here an let people know
I fully believe this is a full blown known error. I have been using xbmc since the days of the Xbox and since it has been ported to Linux the smb shares have always been buggy like this.. I've had several different computers and routers and always same issue. Rebooting the backend is a fix 95 per net of the time but annoying. I wish this would get fixed as it is the only complaint I have ever had. After more than 5 years though no fix
Just wanted to report that two years later still love Kodi but still have this problem. I've had this problem in the past with various back-ends (linux, windows, and proprietary home servers). If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear it? (I'm just waiting for my back end to rebood then I'm going to reboot my front end and of course, it will work. Just highly frustrating after half a decade.

Thanks for any suggestions...
I have had this issue in the past but not on my current setup until last weekend when I got that dreaded popup. I rebooted then had to put in the smb u/p again and it was fine.

Tonight I am moving to NFS as thankfully my QNAP NAS supports it natively.

Here is a interesting benchmark that may convince you if your media server supports NFSLinux, Win and Mac all do but milage may vary) as I've only used it with Linux)
Here is the official kodi NFS wiki
Here are my benchmarks that I just ran. I have the same directory mounted as NFS and SMB. I copy the same file. The first test is NFS and the second is SMB. The difference is clear and kodi enjoys the speed.

kodi@kodi:~/nas$ rsync --progress Download/ubuntu-14.04.amd64.virtualbox.box ub.vbox ubuntu-14.04.amd64.virtualbox.box
792,765,217 100% 98.63MB/s 0:00:07 (xfr#1, to-chk=0/1)
kodi@kodi:~/nas$ rsync --progress SMBDownload/ubuntu-14.04.amd64.virtualbox.box ubsmb.vbox ubuntu-14.04.amd64.virtualbox.box
792,765,217 100% 31.55MB/s 0:00:23 (xfr#1, to-chk=0/1)
What a great suggestion! I'm going to try NFS tonight!! I'm going to give haneWIN NFS Server a go. I'll reply, eventually, with how it went.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samba Shares dissapear and i get connection timed out error0