How to Build A Win7 XBMC Media Center Appliance Under $30
After many years of building XBMC Media Players, I ventured off toward building a simple XBMC setup with the appliance look and feel. What makes this different from any other setups I have done this one was done for under $30.

This is how:

I picked up a compaq d51s usff pc in oem configuration of craigslist for the amount of $20. I wheeled and dealed a 1gb ram stick for $4 at a swap-meet, along with a new vga and new ethernet cables each for $1 dollar. On a separate swap-meet run I scored a working logitech wireless keyboard which was perfect for this build ( I still dont like IR/RF though ) for $4 dollars. I found it in a box marked $1 items but I felt bad so I gave the dude a few extra because the thing is like new.

Pre Configuration before I installed the OS:

Removed the original 20gb hd and installed a 10gb hd
Removed the original CDR Drive and replaced it with a Black Colored Blank
Removed 1.44 floppy and Disabled in Bios
Installed the GB of Memory
Streamlined Bios Settings disabled what I wont use or need.
Setup for USB Boot.

I decided to go with WIN 7 Ultimate. I could of went with openelec but I wanted to use the Windows OS so it wont work for me this build.
Installed Windows 7 clean and formatted hd again I used a 10gb Drive.
After rebooting and installing OS didn't take long gotta love faster usb ports.

I needed two drivers after sound and video. After installing the Intel Video I noticed OpenGL Settings I left them default for now. I opened windows media center and it didn't give me a video card warning so the built in video will work.

Streamlining Win7 I went through running services and disabled a large amount of services, since disabling services can make certain things not work make sure you disable only what you don't need. There are many guides online just do a search. This made a very nice speedup

Also removed default apps like media center, media player, games, Internet explorer, table pc input,xps viewer and program menu items such as media maker, basically any software you wont need or use and since I wont use any of it I deleted them.

I disabled system restore and set windows to performance in control panel advance settings. Run control userpasswords2 to set your box to login automatically. In device manager I disabled some hardware such as floppy disk controller, com port parallel port, rear usb ports and a few more machine specific. Again this was just to speed up the machine as much as possible.
Gave it a reboot and set the bios to boot to HD and disabled everything else.

After a few reboots while windows reconfigured itself everything still works fine and the machine is noticeably quicker.

Before I installed anything else, checked the HD space and I am using 5.1gb of drive space. Before I install XBMC I wanted to I wanted to tweak the boot-screen, log in and shutdown screens. To do so I used two programs that work great. Tweak Logon and Windows 7 Boot-screen Changer that's the names of the programs. The software is super simple pick a picture you want hit apply and your done, seriously.

http://tweaks.com/software/tweakslogon/

BootScreen Updater
http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/

I did use some XBMC Logos in altering the boot-screen and log in welcome screens I rebooted to see it all in action. Everything worked perfectly.

Installed XBMC 10.1, Rappier Skin ( It looked great and with a few tweaks, and turning off all menus except tv shows and movies this skin worked the best in this build after testing several others).

I also added movies and tv show sources from the server. After a library import, the machine was ready to use. I setup the views I wanted in tv shows and movies.

I wanted to have xbmc load at startup without explorer running. This took a registry hack,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon.

Rename shell to OEMSHELL and Create a New "Shell" String and point it to XBMC "C:\ProgramFiles\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

After this XBMC will load without explorer running.

Checked disk space after installing everything I have a large collection of media and there is 2.4gb of hd drive space left after OS,XBMC only.

I used the wireless keyboard for now until I can get a cool remote or make a remote for this build.

Everything works as it should I will be loading pictures to this post for reference and a final video of the appliance finished and operating.

Anyone can enjoy XBMC at any price point you don't need a monster pc however with a lil patience and used parts XBMC can be an install away to your media haven.

Videos of startup and a lil navigation:

Startup

Navigation
How much did Win7 Ultimate cost?
If Windows 7 is not available to you there is XBMC LIVE based on Linux Ubuntu at no cost...also OpenElec is free so you have those choices as well.

Also if your used machine comes with xp or win7 it could certainly be re-used after a default restoration.

elborracho

Welcome I look forward to your positive contributions.
could you tell the hardware specs of the usff pc?
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
You might want to watch out with replacing the explorer, this disables Aero and in turn also disables the built in V-Sync of Windows that is tied to Aero, so you might end up with video tearing (happend to me once)
ubuntuf4n:

Specs are 2.4ghz single core, 1gb ram, 10gb hd, and Intel extreme built in video card.

Greeneyes:

Thanks for the heads up I don't have any aero themes running and have not experienced any video tearing thus far on mp4,avi,mkv.

I will try to play 720 and 1080 files to see how it does but this wont be till later on....I have a few things to get done beforehand.
I just traded a nice wifi card for a radeon 9200 I will install it and report back to see if there was a significant jump in video performance...
I am in the process of uploading a new video after the radeon install.

Also modded the pic I was using for the login screen so it looks a bit better.

I originally went with Rapier Skin, but since the Video Card made such a difference I now went with the NIGHT skin now instead. I still thank those who made the skins great work.

I am truly pleased with the results and have no complaints I do not have any atvs any generation to compare this too, but this is certainly faster than the xbox.

Enjoy the video below let me know what you guys think.

What was the quality of the video's you were playing? Im looking to do the same as you did but i need to be able to play 720 and 1080p videos
I built one using some tin foil, paper clips and a squirrel I found out in the backyard, the movies play fine in the beginning but as the squirrel gets tired my movies get kind of laggy. Laugh
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
tcman47 Wrote:I built one using some tin foil, paper clips and a squirrel I found out in the backyard, the movies play fine in the beginning but as the squirrel gets tired my movies get kind of laggy. Laugh

Instead of a single Squirrel processer you should of gone with duel 2 chipmunks
Laugh
THIS BUILD was not intended to rattle anyone certainly wont replace the 7 core processor XBMC stations out there but then again for $30 It certainly does dvd quality 480 no problem. I tested a 720p without issues, a 1080p but you will need a better video card/gpu.

For 30 dollars this lil pc does it's job well enough.
Thanks for the excellent write up. I've been using that line of machines for media boxes for a while, but you added numerous tips that I should be able to get a bit more life out of these. I do use tuners so it has been a challenge to get enough performance for dual tuner support! They can do it, but a bit more processor and ram are very helpful.
I just picked up another pc that's newer I am doing some testing on.

Gateway e4300 series. P4 3.2HT with 1gb Ram and 80Gb HD Intel HD Graphics and Realtek HD Sound and gigabit network interfaces.

Looking around in it there's 4 sata ports two ide controllers and this pc is small.

Loaded 10.1 XBMC Live Cd and was pretty fast had some fun with it and rebooted. I didn't think it would boot straight off of cd but it did to my surprise. Most of the machines I have used needed config. Otherwise worked flawlessly.

Installed Openelec and it booted off usb which was nice, had a chance to see what Openelec boot speeds were off of usb, I say it was marginally quicker than XBMC 10.1 Live DVD on this machine.

Loaded Windows and XBMC this is "a lot" faster than the last build using the evo slim pc. I received an opportunity to purchase a large amount of the e4300 gateway slim pc's. I don't know what I will do with all these slim pc's I purchased over 50 of them. I am thinking about bundling them with XBMC 10.1 live cd or selling them as an inexpensive way to setup a home as these could be clients and server easily.

These could be configured into XBMC clients, small servers and they are quiet and have a good airflow. SO far I have tested 480 and 720 without hiccups. I did try a 4gb 1080p of SuperBad. I did get an occasional glitch I am trying to figure out why, but non the less it played.
i did something similar recently i bought two dell optiplex 755 for $89 each added a nvidia geforce 210 graphics card for $47 and a mce remote and reciever for $25 then installed openelec on them cost a total of around $175 then sold one to someone i know for $250 so made a little profit plus had fun doing it

got another one left will try to sell it if it doesn't will just give it to my mum a lot of fun doing them and just shows you dont need a big expensive machine to have a htpc a cheap dual core with 1 or 2gb of ram and a 512mb video card will do just fine

i tested it running a 15gb 1080p of tranformers and seemed to play okay i didn't watch the whole movie but didn't notice any problems

mine had 2gb of ram in it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Build A Win7 XBMC Media Center Appliance Under $300