How to Build A Win7 XBMC Media Center Appliance Under $30
I agree with you..you don't need a monster pc for XBMC.

Maybe the old school in me stops me from buying a 7 core pc just to play a couple movies most older dvds are 480 and maybe 720, I would buy one though as a workstation Smile anyday.
I guess I'm the old school guy also. I have been using my xbox for a few years and have nothing bad to say about it, but now that I have the nice big hdtv I would like to build my own 1080p machine. To make a long story short will you sell one of your gateway pc's.

I started looking last week for a small form factor like the hp/compact you used or a dell optiplex or this gateway. The gateways look better in my opinion.
That's freaking awesome. Got to be some sort of record.....
This write up is exactly what I was looking for, TY!

I have a similar machine, though its the next model up, a hp d530 which replaced the Compaq d510. It is a P4 2.66Ghz with 1GB RAM, an 80GB HDD and an nVidia FX 5200 video card. Going to follow your lead and do the same with this box.
You've got to look at such devices as the AppleTV they're only very simple 1 Core machines and they can play 720p streaming without a single issue, I personally have for a Media Center a Quad Core with 4GB RAM which is a total waste.

It runs OpenELEC I don't see it using anymore than 15% across any core at 2.5Ghz which is about 50-80% CPU on a P4 with 3.2Ghz and it's running at 1920x1080 on a projector, I agree having a Quad for a Media Center is the biggest waste of resources as quite a few people have Dual Core with on-board graphics cards as their home machines.

But what a great idea though for a cheap end Media Center Smile
Out of curiosity, where do you have the d510, if you're still using, placed? I was going to place mine in my TV cabinet but these things produce an incredible amount of heat, such is the nature of the P4 of course.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Build A Win7 XBMC Media Center Appliance Under $300