• 7(current)
PLEX vs XBMC
XBMC is an amazing application, and the devs are awesome for doing it, but saying "any bug will get fixed" is really far off-base. These guys aren't being paid, this is their hobby, so they work on stuff that they personally care about. WMV playback has been broken since 2008, forcing me to use an external player. The devs have zero interest in fixing it. And that's OK, because again they aren't being paid, but it also means that certain aspects of the application don't get the attention they rightly deserve.
(2013-01-30, 23:02)pecinko Wrote: My take on this would be

PLEX pros:
========
- Best media HUB. Media is centralized and easily managed & accessed from different devices and places.
- Best media library
- Easy to configure and use

+1000 Nod
Funny how this thread is old, but a lot of the gripes were fixed. I know I had these same gripes when trying to pick between XBMC but they were fixed quite fast.
(2012-12-27, 13:54)Montevideo Wrote: and MySQL is a huge PITA compared to the Media Server.
LOL. Really? MySQL took like 5 min to set up. Started using it when I got a second unit for my bedroom. Seriously. Just... wow.

I take XBMC hands down just because of how Plex broke off from XBMC and how they are charging for new features now. Not to mention the vibe I get from their user base when you ask anything about Plex and Windows. I found XBMC also much easier to set up with things like OpenELEC.

Can I stream to my phone? No, but I could care less. I have never been one to watch video on mobile devices. And honestly that is the only benefit I see Plex having over XBMC.
you still have this *url removed* as i was searching for it.
Have not tested yet but will do.

I love my xbmc and do not acctually need another solution for watching film and series and so on
(2013-06-09, 23:11)rogern Wrote: you still have this *url removed* as i was searching for it.
Have not tested yet but will do.

I love my xbmc and do not acctually need another solution for watching film and series and so on

Do not post links to this website per our forum rules (wiki) on piracy.
One new feature in the plex ecosystem is the plex web feature which lets you manage and watch your content in any browser interface including iOS (for free).

Another, which does require a mobile app (iOS or android) is the option to synchronize content for offline viewing. That does require a paid subscription but great for portable content when you can't be online.
XBMC = Media Player and a good one at that

Plex = Media ecosystem which is where XBMC falls flat

In a world with so many screens Plex shines at delivering content to all your devices no matter where you are in the world. I didn't even know there was a Plexbmc. It could have saved me some time messing with mysql which I just got rid of.
Plex = good at sharing your media over the internet.

XBMC isn't far behind on this... some cool things are in the pipes.

Even the local network stuff is getting really good. I don't even touch MySQL anymore, and what is in nightly builds (wiki) is only part of what is to come as far as multiple "client" features.
(2013-09-01, 10:09)Ned Scott Wrote: Plex = good at sharing your media over the internet.

Even the local network stuff is getting really good. I don't even touch MySQL anymore, and what is in nightly builds (wiki) is only part of what is to come as far as multiple "client" features.

What is in the nightly builds? How do you share play state over a home network without MySQL? Maybe I missed something.
(2013-09-01, 10:09)Ned Scott Wrote: Plex = good at sharing your media over the internet.

Any more info on XBMC being able to share media over the internet in the future? Is there a thread somewhere about this that I can follow? Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
The essential part for Internet sharing is transcoding, and that's one of the GSoC projects: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162225

Other parts are needed too, but that's the big one, from what I'm told.
ok, thank you Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
is it true plex are raising the prices for plexpass?
Yup. Got heads up in plex news email today. But only for future life pass subscribers.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

• 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PLEX vs XBMC0