Best network storage solution.
So I have a Linksys router with a USB port that only supports a FAT32 format. And unfortunately I have my external formatted for Mac OS Extended. I can't reformat without buying another external to transfer the files to first. So, what is my best option for network storage here?

The options I'm seeing are:

Buy another external HD and run through the Linksys. Do the Linksys routers play nice with XBMC? Bonus, I'd have more backup space!

Buy an Airport Express (802.11n model) and plug into its USB port. But do they have the same problems as the Timemachines do with XBMC?

Buy a NAS Drive. If so which one? And can I get a good one for under $200?

Really I'm looking for a relatively cheap option, I browsed Neweggs NAS section and got scared. Thanks!
what model is the linksys?
From my personal experience i can tell you that a Netgear Readynas Duo works like a charm in my network with xbmc (on atv2, xbox & pc). The duo is available at newegg for $169 + Harddisks.

Also the ability to run a mySQL server for shared xbmc libraries, a TimeMachine support for your automated Mac backups and knowing that all your precious data is stored on a redundant RAID (Netgear calls it Raid-X) adds some nice extra benefit.

greets
cipher
Ned, it is a Linksys E1550. From what I remember though, doesn't a FAT32 file system have a 4GB file limitation?

cipher_, thanks for the recommendation. Quick question though, if I plug my Mac OS Extended external drive into it via USB will it read that format? Or should I just buy another drive to pop into the NAS right off the bat?
The HP Micro Servers seem to go on sale constantly at New Egg. MacMall even had them on sale for $199 last week. They are perfect for an unraid or WHS machine. Plenty of room for storage in an extremely small form factor.

*edit... on sale again! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...icroserver
For a cheap option check this thread. Looks pretty good:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115264

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best network storage solution.0