My Setup: Simple HTPC Build
I just got my HTPC up and running, and wanted some feedback/advice.

The system first, then some XBMC questions for customizing.

The components include:
AMD A4-3400 Llano CPU
G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Seagate Momentus 250GB laptop HDD
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
ASRock A75M0HVS Micro-ATX Mobo
Rosewill Desktop Case

The entire setup ran less than $300, and with Windows7, is under $400. I had an extra license for my copy, so that was no extra charge.

I'm currently running the NEON skin, as it allows for custom home menus, and use the Executor plugin to jump to screens in MCE for Netflix & Blu-Ray playback (more on that later). I like the layout, but have run out of additional home screens, and scrolling through the favourites menu will wear on the missus.

What i'd like to do is use the standard movies menu, but have it divided further into Movies, Kid-Friendly, Anime, etc. and each category points to a video media folder (i've already got movies divided up into separate folders on my server). Is this possible? would a different skin be better for the task? I'd also like the same for TV and one for streaming video (i just have a favourite to the video add-ons at the moment).

Is any of this possible? i've also attached pics of the build and the final product, for bragging rights (humblebrag, that is)

Great setup!

How s the noise level on your setup ? In regards to the xbmc setup , I've been asking the same question , movie folder , cartoons , chick flicks (don't wants them in the same folder as my movies lol) but how to add a dedicated short cut on the main menu ? I m using the Aeon skin , i'll see if i can do it and report back .
Thanks for the pics !
You can do what your wanting with smart playlists and favourites.
I have all Movies in the library from one share and TV Shows in the library from another share. The TV shows that my son watches are on a separate share (they are not in the TV library but the share is selected as a favourite).
I have a smart playlist for movies my sons watches called "Kyle's Movies". I have it as a submenu for Movies using the skin Cirrus Extended V2. I have a his TV Shows (not in the library) in the TV submenu called "Kyle's Shows" using the favourite. His shows are named correctly and have a folder.jpg and a fanart.jpg so they show up with pictures.
I also have smart playlists each for my wife and I in the TV submenu that only contain the TV Shows that we don't watch together.
thanks for the pics!
Djangostar Wrote:Great setup!

How s the noise level on your setup ? In regards to the xbmc setup , I've been asking the same question , movie folder , cartoons , chick flicks (don't wants them in the same folder as my movies lol) but how to add a dedicated short cut on the main menu ? I m using the Aeon skin , i'll see if i can do it and report back .
Thanks for the pics !

The CPU has a TDP of 65W, but it seems like it pulls much less with normal use. I've got the fans at 30%, and last check, I was running at >30C. the stock fans are louder than I want, but not in the way. I'll replace them with low DBa fans down the road.
T800 Wrote:You can do what your wanting with smart playlists and favourites.
I have all Movies in the library from one share and TV Shows in the library from another share. The TV shows that my son watches are on a separate share (they are not in the TV library but the share is selected as a favourite).
I have a smart playlist for movies my sons watches called "Kyle's Movies". I have it as a submenu for Movies using the skin Cirrus Extended V2. I have a his TV Shows (not in the library) in the TV submenu called "Kyle's Shows" using the favourite. His shows are named correctly and have a folder.jpg and a fanart.jpg so they show up with pictures.
I also have smart playlists each for my wife and I in the TV submenu that only contain the TV Shows that we don't watch together.

I haven't played with Smart Playlists yet, So i may have to try that out. I may try out that Skin you tlaked about too. while I love the Neon skin, i'm not married to it Smile
For kids movie etc... I set up shares like this :

Movies/Kids
Movies/Teenagers
Movies/Adults

Then I create 3 profiles: Kids, Teenagers and Adults. Obviously, Kids have access to movies in Movies/Kids only, while Adults profile have access to all three shares.

I then assign a remote key ("0" in my case) to change profile on the go (or just use the login screen for XBMC).

Once the setup is done I find it easier/faster to just scroll through a limited choice of movie, when my kid wants to watch something.
matt-tastic Wrote:I haven't played with Smart Playlists yet, So i may have to try that out. I may try out that Skin you tlaked about too. while I love the Neon skin, i'm not married to it Smile

I've just checked out Neon. Nice skin!

It gives options of only one movie submenu and only one TV submenu for playlists but does give lots of options for the home menu.
You should be able to do what you need with Neon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My Setup: Simple HTPC Build0