EVR Custom Pres. video quality?
I have a ATI HD 6570. Video seems to look better when playing in MPC than XBMC. When I run DVXA2 the video image looks kinda funky and has almost a ghosting effect. Anyone know what settings to set in XBMC to get the same picture quality as EVR Custom Pres. in MPC? Haven't used external players as I am unsure if the video OSD's works this way.

On a side note, after using XBMC for a few days with mutliple computer sleeps the video starts to go slightly choppy. Only way to fix it is restart XBMC. Any thoughts on this?
ASUS F2A85-M PRO FM2 -- AMD A10-6800K -- 8gig DDR3 1600 -- Nvidia GTX 650 -- Samsung SSD 120gig -- GRANDIA GD05B Case -- Onkyo RC-HT260 -- Paradigm Atom Monitor S7 x4, Center 1, Surrounds 1 -- Panasonic 60ST60
djdcm0722 Wrote:I have a ATI HD 6570. Video seems to look better when playing in MPC than XBMC. When I run DVXA2 the video image looks kinda funky and has almost a ghosting effect. Anyone know what settings to set in XBMC to get the same picture quality as EVR Custom Pres. in MPC? Haven't used external players as I am unsure if the video OSD's works this way.

On a side note, after using XBMC for a few days with mutliple computer sleeps the video starts to go slightly choppy. Only way to fix it is restart XBMC. Any thoughts on this?

To achieve cross-platform compatibility, XBMC uses the ffmpeg libraries for decoding, which have mediocre playback qualities (soft picture, decoding artifacts/glitches). It's the best you can do with ffmpeg.

If you want to get better picture quality, you need to use directshow decoders on windows, which is what MPC, ZoomPlayer and most other players use (ie, ffdshow, lav filters, etc). You can do this with a separate branch of XBMC with DSPlayer:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=989755

Setting up the DSPlayer version isn't nearly as easy as plain XBMC, but the playback quality improvement is drastic and well worth the effort. There are guides and helpful info scattered in the thread noted above, I'd suggest spending a few hours reading it from start to finish.

Note that DSPlayer is still in alpha development and isn't perfect, but if you're on Win7, and playing back normal media, it's 99% right now.

Cheers
The REAL Joe
To me it seems EVR always does a subtle edge enhancement even if you disable it in CCC entirely and I tend to like that approach... Setting edge enhancement to 10 in CCC (everything else disabled) and using the DXVA renderer (available in Eden) produces an EVR-looking video on my setup (HD 6570) and I am very satisfied with it. Smile
a11599 Wrote:To me it seems EVR always does a subtle edge enhancement even if you disable it in CCC entirely and I tend to like that approach... Setting edge enhancement to 10 in CCC (everything else disabled) and using the DXVA renderer (available in Eden) produces an EVR-looking video on my setup (HD 6570) and I am very satisfied with it. Smile

I'll have to try that out. I'll let you know how it goes.
ASUS F2A85-M PRO FM2 -- AMD A10-6800K -- 8gig DDR3 1600 -- Nvidia GTX 650 -- Samsung SSD 120gig -- GRANDIA GD05B Case -- Onkyo RC-HT260 -- Paradigm Atom Monitor S7 x4, Center 1, Surrounds 1 -- Panasonic 60ST60
a11599 Wrote:To me it seems EVR always does a subtle edge enhancement even if you disable it in CCC entirely and I tend to like that approach... Setting edge enhancement to 10 in CCC (everything else disabled) and using the DXVA renderer (available in Eden) produces an EVR-looking video on my setup (HD 6570) and I am very satisfied with it. Smile
Hmmm... interesting approach, never thought about the video card control panel.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
djdcm0722 Wrote:I have a ATI HD 6570. Video seems to look better when playing in MPC than XBMC. When I run DVXA2 the video image looks kinda funky and has almost a ghosting effect. Anyone know what settings to set in XBMC to get the same picture quality as EVR Custom Pres. in MPC? Haven't used external players as I am unsure if the video OSD's works this way.

I have an ATI 5450 and I don't notice any difference between MPC and XBMC picture quality on my 50" plasma.
Tried DS player and while I enjoyed the video results I wasnt too happy with how it interfaced. After a show would play it would stay on a black screen and wouldnt mark it as watched. I tried adjusting the video settings in CCC with DVXA2 enabled in XBMC and that seemed to do the trick. While not prefect it is much better.

I did notice however that the sharpen edges is what was giving the video that funky look. Have all options turned off except for pull down detection and adaptive vector deinterlacing.

Thanks everyone for you suggestions.
The black screen has been fixed with the latest build of DSPlayer. Check the appropriate thread.
ashlar Wrote:Hmmm... interesting approach, never thought about the video card control panel.

That's the point of the DXVA renderer. You can take advantage (or disadvantage) of your card's post-processing capabilities (and GPU deinterlacing) for all your videos. Pretty much like the EVR renderer. The HD6570 has a pretty good scaler (looks to me like spline but with less ringing) and EE is also quite good if it is not overused and works a treat for SD material.

Too bad AMD is not exposing the post processing options on the standard DXVA2 API. Sad It would be cool to integrate some of them into the XBMC video control dialog.
a11599 Wrote:Too bad AMD is not exposing the post processing options on the standard DXVA2 API. Sad It would be cool to integrate some of them into the XBMC video control dialog.
What about Nvidia?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I don't have nVidia but looking at some public info I think some cards/drivers expose noise reduction controls. That alone does not satisfy the effort to me. There might be some proprietary interfaces (Ati CCC used to have a COM interface earlier, but I could not find any details)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EVR Custom Pres. video quality?0