UnRaid vs Synology NAS as a media server
Hey everyone.

I was thinking about getting a Synology NAS server, so that I could store my media (movies/music/etc.) and use it to stream them to my HTPC. I currently have a WHS v1, and thought that a NAS would be an easier solution for me.

Well glancing through the forum here it looks like quite a few have gone with an UnRaid solution. I do not know much about them, so I went to reading. I keep reading that an UnRaid server isn't as quick as other solutions. Would an UnRaid server be quick enough to stream Bluray/DVD/etc. to a HTPC, via Ethernet?

Also, I would love to hear from someone who went from a NAS, like synology, to UnRaid and what the benefits/losses are. Or the other way around, from UnRaid to a NAS.

Also, does it make sense to go from a WHS v1 to an UnRaid/NAS solution? I am not sure I have/need to back up my other computers, so really it has just been a median server.

Thanks!!!
I have no experience with unraid but last year I bought a Synology disc station 1511+ with 15TB and I am very happy with it. I love all the additional functionality it provides. Currently it serves video to my HTPC and 2 AppleTV units all at once with no problems. We also use its Android and iPad apps to browse and store all our digital photos. You can even install torrent and Usenet download clients on it and access them remotely. It is a lot quieter than my HTPC.
I know very little about Synology. What I do know is unRAID does everything neumahn says synology does but for half the price. For the price of a synology 1511 I could build two of my 16 bay servers.
Downside is to get it that cheap you have to build your own and some command line is involved (I hate command line but even I find it quite easy with all the instructions).
I haven't touched my servers in months, they just run without a problem.
So, all the things I've read about speed issues doesn't affect you? You have good speeds? I am very interested in unraid, especially if I can build a 16 or 20 drive solution for around the price of a pre built 5 solution.

Anyone have any input on waiting for windows 8 server? Is there anything worth waiting for?
I went from FreeNas to Unraid and now I'm using Synology DS111.

While streaming Blu-ray rips I didn't notice a speed difference or issue between them. I have a wired ethernet system through my whole house.

The only speed difference I noticed was the Unraid and FreeNas I was running at the time took forever to get up and running from hibernation or shutdown. The Synology seems faster. It actually wakes from LAN access which is nicer for me.

I think the only reason you might want to consider going with a Synology setup is the features it has. Some of the free systems have some or all of the features, but Synology has been the easiest to setup for me. I love how I can access it from anywhere and add torrents to download while I'm not at home.

Reading from Unraid is as fast as the drive containing the data. Writing is a lot slower (10-20 MB/s for me) unless you use a cache drive.

Should be no problem at all playing Bluray.
I went last year from an Unraid-Server to a Synology DS411j (4x2TB) and i think i'll stick with it for a while.

The 2 main reasons are Power Consumption and Size. The Syno only uses 18 Watts when the disks are powered down, so i can run it 24/7. Even a low-power Core-i3-System uses at least 30 Watts, and if you think about recycling some old hardware like i did at the time that number can go up to 80 Watts ore more.

But if those things don't matter to you Unraid can also be a good choice. What i liked about it: the storage-system is very flexible, just put in any HD you've got lying around, you can add or remove disks very easily. Yes, the write performance is not that good, unless you use a cache-drive.
Thanks for all the info everyone. I have a tough decision I think. Love tinkering, so UnRaid fits that. Like simplicity, so sounds like a synology might have that (but it might be a tie). Don't want a lot of slowness, so sounds like best option would be synology (although sounds like a cache drive may help). Love expandability, tieHuh Love bang for the buck type systems, sounds like UnRaid hands down.

I still have some researching to do, but I appreciate all the help so far.
You can throw FlexRAID on that WHS box and see if you like it. I've found it to be great for my media server. I am more comfortable in Windows... Works great, 1 server, three clients AND I'm running SAB, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Orb, mumble, and probably a few other things without and troubles so far... Knock on wood...
So I have one last question, and I think it is a silly one, but I want to confirm. I have a WHS and if I build an UnRaid server, I just want to make sure I can use both in my network. I am assuming that I can, but want to make sure there won't be some sort of odd conflicts or anything.

Kirky99,

Do you have any good resources on how to set that up? A good how-to guide so to speak?
rhmclay Wrote:Kirky99,

Do you have any good resources on how to set that up? A good how-to guide so to speak?
Check out wiki.flexraid.com and forum.flexraid.com

It's "just" software, you install it, access the web interface and create your storage pool and or raid setup. I like it very much... No problems so far. I've got 4 2TB drives setup as a storage pool with snapshot raid for a little redundancy. Pretty neat the way it works...
rhmclay Wrote:So I have one last question, and I think it is a silly one, but I want to confirm. I have a WHS and if I build an UnRaid server, I just want to make sure I can use both in my network. I am assuming that I can, but want to make sure there won't be some sort of odd conflicts or anything.
Should be no problem at all, you can (if you want) set the UnRaid server to be on the same workgroup as your other computers. You set up shares that shows up as any other SMB-share from any other OS/computer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UnRaid vs Synology NAS as a media server0