audio through hdmi?
I'm new to HTPC and starting to put together a list of parts for my first system. From other threads I think I'm going to need a higher end video card that the GPU on the mb. So here's a dumb question. If you use a mb with hdmi on the board and then add a separate nvidia video card with hdmi to get faster HD video processing. Is audio routed through the hdmi connector on the video card or do you need to use separate audio cables to get your sound output? Thanks f any input
Not a dumb question and welcome. You will basically end up with two sound devices and the ability to choose which sound options to use. So yes, your dedicated GPU will do your sound also if you select that device in the sound properties
The BIOS should have a feature to disable the onboard graphics/sound. Then you can route through your added GPU.

Folks are having success with the Intel I5/I7 combined mobos but read up first.

Good luck with the build - lots of help available here and already posted Big Grin
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
audio through hdmi?0