New unraid build not POSTing and how I fixed it. . . FYI
I finally *loosely* followed eskro's guide to build my unraid server. Here are the parts I ordered:

ASRock 880GM-LE AM3 AMD 880G Micro ATX

AMD Sempron 145 Sargas 2.8GHz Socket AM3 45W

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I was very excited and put it all together right away and pushed the power button. All the fans and lights came on, but nothing on the display. BUMMER! ***EDIT: It is in no way shape or form eskro's fault Laugh I did make a modification to his list and ordered different ram for the record***

So I decided to do a bench test. Took everything apart. Put in just one stick of ram and I only plugged the two power cables for the mobo and the power switch. Still nothing. I repeated while unplugging and plugging everything back in to make sure there were no loose connections and switching the sticks of ram and the slots.

It did POST once (after about 10 or 15 tries), but I didn't have a drive or even a keyboard attached, so I got an error message and I turned it off again. Thinking that it was probably a loose connection and that I had fixed it, I plugged in the fans, keyboard and a usb stick with unraid, etc. Pushed the power button, nothing happened.

I went back to testing connections, etc., repeating the whole full power cycle while testing and switching connections. It finally did POST again after about 20 tries. But once again, it happened when there was nothing connected. I again thought it was a bad connection and I fixed it, but to no avail, it stopped POSTing after that.

I got really annoyed. I started reading whatever relevant post I could find on the various forums. I have a couple other desktops at home, but not all parts were compatible. For instance all the other ram sticks I had were DDR2, other processors were AM2, incompatible. I was able to test another psu to rule out the psu problem. I also hooked up an old 7600GT to rule out an onboard video problem.

The remaining potential culprits were the cpu, mobo and/or the ram. I did read on one forum where the user said out of the box, his mobo recognized his ram sticks incorrectly and set the voltage and timings way off, causing the ram to cause POST problems. That kinda made sense to me as I did get my system to POST two out of over a hundred tries. If the ram settings were off, it would be unstable, but could be barely stable (enough to POST) every once in a while.

The only way I could test that hypothesis would be to get it to POST and get into bios and check the settings.

That is when the real fun began. I had to power cycle over a hundred times while switching out ram sticks, keeping one finger on the "DEL" key in case it POSTed.

Finally it POSTed and I got into the bios. Lo and behold, the voltage supplied to the ram by the board was 1.7V whereas the manufacturer recommended voltage was 1.5V. The timings were way off as well. I set the voltage to 1.53V and set the timings correctly, and voila, it started POSTing every time. When I put in the second stick, the problem came back, but switching the older (working) stick into the other slot and changing the voltage and timings again (I guess for that slot as well??!?) allowed me to put in both sticks and still POST.

Prior to finally fixing it, I almost returned everything back to Newegg for a replacement and if I had, the replacement parts would probably have the same exact problem (because they would be the same brand and models). I am glad I stuck it out and troubleshooted it properly (although it was a huge pain in the butt)

So now I have a fully working unraid server that is preclearing some drives. But I am afraid the power button is worn out and it now squeaks :-(

Oh and I was also able to unlock the second core on the sempron with literally one click, turning it into an AMD Athlon II X2 4450e which is a pretty kicka$$ dual core with only 45W TDP.

PS. I didn't write this long post to bore you guys, I swear. I just wanted to get my experience out there so someone else having the same problem might hopefully stumble upon it. I spent a good solid 7-8 hours troubleshooting.

SUMMARY:

Sometimes there might be a compatibility problem between certain boards and RAM, where the board will supply too high of a voltage or timings way off to the ram, making them unstable. It will not POST. You will have no idea what's causing it, as you won't even be able to access the bios. If you can put in a different stick of ram that is compatible (I did not have this luxury), you can get into bios, change the voltage and timing settings and switch back to the original ram and it should work.
aptalca Wrote:I finally followed eskro's guide to build my unraid server. Here are the parts I ordered:

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

you did not 'fully' followed it,
my ram recommendation isn't that G.Skill set...
RAM has been the number 1 cause of problems in my recent builds. I suggest now that people pay very close attention to the recommended RAM for their particular motherboard. If its not on the list, don't entertain the thought, even if it's cheap...

BIOS updates may also be very important...
RAM is truly the number 1 cause of problems overall...
definitely pay close attention to which set u get.
in the past i was like, meh, its just ram, what can go wrong,
but i've learned the hard way Tongue
eskro Wrote:you did not 'fully' followed it,
my ram recommendation isn't that G.Skill set...

lol I didn't mean that it was your fault eskro Big Grin Your guide helped me tremendously in picking especially the right board, case and the cables. Thank you for that. (Oh and the case you recommended looks even cooler in real life)

I did go for more ram because I was going to use sab/cp/sb and also have transcoding and *maybe* a web server or a vm server, etc. Since it was cheap enough, I went for it to have my options open.

I decided on the G.skill set because it had the best reviews on newegg, but I guess it was more of a compatibility problem between the board and ram rather than bad parts per se.

Bios update *might* have worked, but I couldn't even get into the bios so there was no way for me to update it. Now I am really scared of a cmos reset. Because that would mean more power cycles until fix No

PS. Edited original post to add disclaimer about the nonexistance of eskro's fault Big Grin
Yeah, chek the BIOS... If its not the latest, it ay help. I had a ase where the person bought approved memory, but the PC was not detecting it right. They posted with one stick, updated the BIOS, and it detected the memory fine from then on.

Memory timings are critical, and as you found out voltage as well. It ain't just memory anymore...
Hmm. I might try that. Thanks. Just to confirm, updating the bios should not reset the cmos, right? I mean in case the bios update doesn't fix the compatibility issue, I would rather not go back to the dreadful power cycles.
aptalca Wrote:PS: Edited original post to add disclaimer about the non-existance of eskro's fault Big Grin

thanks

Kirky99 Wrote:It ain't just memory anymore...

damn right!
Oh, flashing the BIOS will certainly cause a CMOS reset... If you're working now, then leave it. It probably would have been the first thing I tried. I don't understand memory timings, etc so much, so I'm mostly flying blind in the DRAM area of a BIOS.
just out of curiosity, u should try to memTEST your RAM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxNsgPOpqo
Kirky99 Wrote:Oh, flashing the BIOS will certainly cause a CMOS reset... If you're working now, then leave it. It probably would have been the first thing I tried. I don't understand memory timings, etc so much, so I'm mostly flying blind in the DRAM area of a BIOS.

Yeah it is fully working right now, I'd rather not mess with it. I guess I'll be fine as long as the cmos battery doesn't crap out. I built a bunch of computers in the past, but never had to really change dram settings until now. To be honest, I didn't even know what the timings exactly were prior to this problem. Well, looking back, I guess most of my computer knowledge actually came from past troubleshooting efforts.

eskro Wrote:just out of curiosity, u should try to memTEST your RAM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxNsgPOpqo

Actually, I did. I forgot to mention that when it finally started up with one stick and I changed the timings and voltage for ram, I popped in the unraid flashdrive and during boot, it gives you two options: 1) boot unraid 2) memtest

So I did two passes with the first stick in, no errors. Then when I put both sticks in, I did another three passes and no errors. The sticks are perfectly fine. I guess they just weren't stable at 1.7V that the board automatically set.
I got two of the 880GM motherboard. I am using crucial as my RAM. They both work fine. But I did change the timings to the RAM's specs and the voltage.

The voltage was way up high stock like 1.7.... i brought it down to 1.47

The timings where changed to: 9 9 9 25 tRC 34
as what CPUz SPD said.

No problems what so ever....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820148221
Hey that's cheaper than what I paid :-(
aptalca Wrote:Hey that's cheaper than what I paid :-(

Yup! I had had many ram brands.... crucial is up on my list after testing. I hate G skill...
Beer40oz Wrote:I hate G skill...

even tho i have GSKiLL in my HTPC, i hate them too....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New unraid build not POSTing and how I fixed it. . . FYI0