instructions on how to compile latest version from git?
Hi there,

Until Mr. Buildbot returns, would anyone be kind enough to share instructions on how to manually compile the git version of XBMC for iOS, if that's possible? Smile cheers...
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
canadave Wrote:Hi there,

Until Mr. Buildbot returns, would anyone be kind enough to share instructions on how to manually compile the git version of XBMC for iOS, if that's possible? Smile cheers...

If you clone the source or just go to github xbmc page and read readme.ios, it has all the steps. Good luck.
newatv2user Wrote:If you clone the source or just go to github xbmc page and read readme.ios, it has all the steps. Good luck.

Thanks. I'm a little new at the github stuff (never used it before), so if you don't mind confirming--I'm looking at README.ios in the "xbmc/atv2" folder, right? And those versions for Xcode it talks about are correct, there aren't later versions that are now preferred? (the date of the readme is March 2011, so I wasn't sure if that's still the correct preferred SDK and Xcode versions).

cheers!

EDIT: Actually, reading that readme.ios file closely, I'm not sure I understand--it talks about building "XBMC for Mac", not XBMC for IOS.
canadave Wrote:Thanks. I'm a little new at the github stuff (never used it before), so if you don't mind confirming--I'm looking at README.ios in the "xbmc/atv2" folder, right? And those versions for Xcode it talks about are correct, there aren't later versions that are now preferred? (the date of the readme is March 2011, so I wasn't sure if that's still the correct preferred SDK and Xcode versions).

cheers!

EDIT: Actually, reading that readme.ios file closely, I'm not sure I understand--it talks about building "XBMC for Mac", not XBMC for IOS.

Try the one at https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.
It's dated October.
Thanks...I tried the instructions in that readme file, but I guess I'm totally at sea with this stuff. It failed on step 2 (the git clone command).

Can someone who has actually compiled XBMC for the ATV2 provide a simple, step-by-step instruction as to how to accomplish this? The readme file is fairly obscure for people like me who don't really know what's happening here and are not familiar with the intricacies of using github.
If you want help, then you must provide the complete error including the command that you issued. We are not beside you and that damm crystal ball is still broke.
davilla Wrote:If you want help, then you must provide the complete error including the command that you issued. We are not beside you and that damm crystal ball is still broke.

I'm following the instructions in the readme.ios file that was referenced earlier. In "2: Getting the source code" it says to do this:

$ cd $HOME
$ git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git xbmc
$ cd xbmc
$ git submodule update --init addons/skin.touched

So in Terminal on my Mac, when I run the git clone command, it says "bash -git: command not found." I know I'm a thousand miles from doing this correctly, so I thought it'd be easier if someone just posted the correct steps rather than going through a regular error troubleshooting routine.
The steps in the readme are as simple and as comprehensive as it can get. I've compiled several times following it. You don't have git, so go ahead and install git first then proceed.
Google: "Install git mac osx your-version"
canadave Wrote:I'm following the instructions in the readme.ios file that was referenced earlier. In "2: Getting the source code" it says to do this:

$ cd $HOME
$ git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git xbmc
$ cd xbmc
$ git submodule update --init addons/skin.touched

So in Terminal on my Mac, when I run the git clone command, it says "bash -git: command not found." I know I'm a thousand miles from doing this correctly, so I thought it'd be easier if someone just posted the correct steps rather than going through a regular error troubleshooting routine.

"bash -git: command not found." means you did not install git so bash has no clue how to run the command "git".

Quote:skunkworks:xbmc-ios davilla$ skdfjsdf
-bash: skdfjsdf: command not found

see http://help.github.com/mac-set-up-git/
Thanks, that makes sense--I'm installing git now and will try again. I assume that the instructions in readme.ios create a .deb file on my Mac, which I then upload to the apple TV and install as normal?
OK, the git command that wasn't working now works. But in the next step, I get this:

MacBeth:~ Dave$ git submodule update --init addons/skin.touched
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
canadave Wrote:OK, the git command that wasn't working now works. But in the next step, I get this:

forget that one, the touched skin is only used for iOS and not atv2.
canadave Wrote:OK, the git command that wasn't working now works. But in the next step, I get this:

forgot the "cd xbmc" before that command?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:forgot the "cd xbmc" before that command?

I think I might've Wink I tried again and it worked in terms of adding the touched bit (although I understand per davilla it's not needed, I just wanted to see if it worked). However, it's still not completing according to the instructions in the readme.ios file.

This is what I've got so far:

Code:
macbeth:~ Dave$ cd xbmc
macbeth:xbmc Dave$ git submodule update --init addons/skin.touched
Submodule 'touched' (git://github.com/xbmc/skin.touched.git) registered for path 'addons/skin.touched'
Cloning into addons/skin.touched...
remote: Counting objects: 1623, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (620/620), done.
remote: Total 1623 (delta 996), reused 1559 (delta 932)
Receiving objects: 100% (1623/1623), 8.99 MiB | 2.42 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (996/996), done.
Submodule path 'addons/skin.touched': checked out '1d03746646111f97e28b807a290bd762c7db547c'
macbeth:xbmc Dave$ cd $HOME/XBMC
macbeth:XBMC Dave$ sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin; sudo cp tools/darwin/depends/gas-preprocessor/gas-preprocessor.pl /usr/local/bin/
macbeth:XBMC Dave$ cd tools/darwin/depends
macbeth:depends Dave$ ./bootstrap
macbeth:depends Dave$ ./configure --with-darwin=ios
configure: error: error in configure of --with-sdk=5.0
macbeth:depends Dave$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
macbeth:depends Dave$

This is using the latest Xcode/SDK package downloaded today from Apple, on Lion 10.7 install.
sigh, xcode4 I bet. not supported and it does say that "The current build system is Xcode 3.x and iOS SDK 4.2/4.3" in the README.ios, so you have to remove xcode4 and install xcode3.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
instructions on how to compile latest version from git?0