instructions on how to compile latest version from git?
Speaking of buildbot: When will it be serving builds again? After eden will have been released?
Memphiz Wrote:And i want you to keep your builds for yourself. We just won't support anything which wasn't build from the buildbot.

of course, I just want to check that request:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=990...stcount=12

because now I can see that I can't count on you, that was so small request and very easy for you, also I provide compiled DLLs (with patch for vividas; I ask about it 5 moths ago http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=107003) which dev team can add to primary Eden.

I know that you are very good in programming and OS X environment, but don't forget that not everyone is a programmer, and most of the users on the world using windows systems.
flyingrat Wrote:Not quite!

Snippted from README.ios (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/README.ios)

"Install latest Xcode. You can download it from Apple's site after registration at (http://developer.apple.com/tools/download). The preferred version is Xcode 3.2.5 and iOS SDK 4"

Same goes for README.osx (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/README.osx):

"Install latest Xcode. You can download it from Apple's site after registration at (http://developer.apple.com/tools/download). You also need to install the 10.4 sdk. If using Xcode 3.x, you MUST use Xcode 3.1.2 so update your existing version if you are running a previous Xcode 3.x version. Xcode 3.x only runs on 10.5."

Either the instructions are wrong/fuzzy or they need to be updated regarding Xcode 3.x is mandatory...
--

Thank you for recognizing my issue with the wording. Incidentally, after struggling with this on my own, I've almost got it working. There's another inconsistency in the readme--in the introduction it says "The current build system is Xcode 3.x and iOS SDK 4.2/4.3", but using 4.3 I get a build error:
Code:
"error: There is no SDK with the name or path 'iphoneos4.2'
[BEROR]error: There is no SDK with the name or path 'iphoneos4.2'".

The readme's "preferred version" (whatever that means) is 4.2, so I'll try that next.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
If you have 4.3 installed, then you need to change the line to iphoneos4.3 instead. The error is pretty much telling you what to do.
Thanks, that worked.
All steps in the readme.ios file are now completed and the build has been built successfully. In my xbmc/build/release-iphoneos folder, there's the XBMC.frappliance folder, which (I assume?) is what is used to install. To install this on the ATV2, what is the correct procedure from this point?
http://forum.xbmc.org/archive/index.php/t-98655.html

Do steps 4 and 5. For step 4, you might need to sudo. "sudo ./mkdeb-xbmc-atv2.sh release"
Awesome, that's the missing steps I needed. Thanks!
castortray Wrote:of course, I just want to check that request:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=990...stcount=12

because now I can see that I can't count on you, that was so small request and very easy for you, also I provide compiled DLLs (with patch for vividas; I ask about it 5 moths ago http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=107003) which dev team can add to primary Eden.

I know that you are very good in programming and OS X environment, but don't forget that not everyone is a programmer, and most of the users on the world using windows systems.

its not a matter of counting on us or not. try to imagine what happens if reports spread everywhere where each one has some custom built libs here and there - we just can't handle that much different builds so we have to follow some clear rules which in that case mean - we can only dig in issues which occur with our current source code. (though we can't dig in all of them)

I totally understand the frustration that most of you have when things are so easy to fix and even working patches are provided and the team just seems to not pick any of them into mainline.

But atm we are in some sort of eden hostage and just can't pick things like ffmpeg patches in because we already work on a major ffmpeg bump which throws tons of rocks in between our lacks which need to be taken care off to get at the point that everything works at least as good / bad as it works now.

There is a lot of work beeing done behind the scenes which on the one hand have to do with bringing eden forward and on the other hand things which prepare time after eden as well. Its the unbelievable mass of todos which grows and grows and we are just unable to take care off in the same speed like new things appear on the horizont.

I think this is the situation which goes in that direction more and more as the userbase and the number of feature requests grows.

Its not by intention to stump on your help and give a feeling of ignorance. This vivid thing is only one of maybe 100 or more things which atm just can't be straighten out.

I have the feeling to write even more about all of this, but i think my post is already long enough.

Developing and Bringing forward XBMC is just that "slow" as it is. Maybe it gets better at some point - maybe not. Its just "normal" with the most of that kind of projects.

And yes - buildbot will do nightlys again after eden release - at least that is the plan...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Just to confirm...when following the steps in readme.ios to create a build: if I've already created a build using those instructions, and want to create a new build several days later, I need to follow all the same steps starting from the beginning, right? There's no steps I can skip because I've already got some things from the first build?
Depends on what has changed.

1. If something in tools/darwin/depends has changed you have to start from scratch.
2. If something in lib/ has changed you have to restart from "make xcode_depends"
3. Else you only need to open the xcodeproject and rebuild it with xcode

There might be situations missing here where one of the 3 points don't apply. But this should work most of the time.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Great, thanks.
Hiya guys. I want to help get XBMC up and running on ATV2 iOS 6.x. I've been a programmer for a while now and have been doing iPhone/iOS for 3+ years so not too new at this, very new to ATV2.

I'm going through the instructions and I'm stuck on step 4. How to Compile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. How to compile
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both Xcode and Terminal compilation require that build environment be setup
from the step 3.1.

$ cd $HOME/XBMC
$ make -C tools/darwin/depends/xbmc
$ make clean
$ make xcode_depends
$ make -C lib/addons/script.module.pil

When I run make -C tools/darwin/depends/xbmc I get the following error:

Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /Users/Shared/xbmc-depends/toolchain/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 326.
autoreconf: failed to run aclocal: No such file or directory

I looked and the directory is there "/Users/Shared/xbmc-depends/toolchain/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm"
The next two commands fail with: "No rule to make target"

I'm running Xcode 4.6, command line tools installed. All of this is from Terminal of course. I haven't make it into Xcode proper yet.
The path to my git repo is:

/Users/michael/OTMSoftware/AppleTV/Projects/xbmc/xbmc

Any help appreciated. terminal session below.
Thanks,
Michael

server:xbmc michael$ make -C tools/darwin/depends/xbmc
cd ../../../../; ./bootstrap
autoreconf -vif .
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --output=aclocal.m4t
Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /Users/Shared/xbmc-depends/toolchain/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 326.
autoreconf: failed to run aclocal: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [configure] Error 1
Warning: No doxygen installed. The Api will not have any docstrings.
mkdir -p xbmc/interfaces/python/generated/doxygenxml
Swig not found, it will be used if found after configure.
This is not necessarily an error.
make[1]: *** [swig-not-found] Error 1
make: *** [configure] Error 2
server:xbmc michael$ make clean
make: *** No rule to make target `clean'. Stop.
server:xbmc michael$ make xcode_depends
make: *** No rule to make target `xcode_depends'. Stop.
server:xbmc michael$
Are you sure the dependencies are built completely? (try make -C tools/darwin/depends again until it doesn't build anything anymore).

Also if you wanna help please continue based on my work here:

https://github.com/Memphiz/xbmc/commits/ios6

Basically its done. All working - but the hw decoder changed and so hw decoding is broken for now. (davilla has to look into that).

At the moment this is based on using theos/logos. Our goal ist to get rid of the code generated classes (XBMCAppliance.xm -> XBMCAppliance.mm and XBMCController.xm -> XBMCController.mm).

So we need to do the hooking ourselfs without using the logos.pl code generator.

The current code runs on ios5.x and ios6.x (can't try 4.x - don't have an atv2 with that old ios version around anymore).

The changes for running on ios6 with atv2 is described here (scroll down and read the readme).

https://github.com/lechium/HelloWorld_ATVBlack6

Basically Apple removed the ApppleTV.framework and moved all needed symbols into the AppleTV.app. So now we need to inject our code during runtime via obj-c hooking.

Well all that said - i appreciate any help of course. But don't feel sad if i'm done before you Wink. (i just could need a little hint on how to do the hooking in a clean way and getting a bit cleaner code as of what logos.pl generates).
Hello Memphiz and thanks for the quick reply.

It looks like the instructions for step 4 say:

$ make -C tools/darwin/depends/xbmc

and it really should say:

$ make -C tools/darwin/depends (no "xbmc" at the end)

Its making the dependencies right now (looks like this will take a while to build). I'll let you know if I run into any more issues. Once I have it compiling I'll start looking into getting rid of the code generated classes. Hopefully I can help out there. And of course once we get this running well on iOS 6.x i'll stay on to fix bugs for a while as I would like to learn a bit about the code base.

One dumb question: I am guessing with no support from Apple we are not able to debug on the device (ATV) through Xcode. That sure would be nice, but doubt its supported at this time.

Thanks again,
Michael

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
instructions on how to compile latest version from git?0