Set Volume for Music and Video Independently
Question 
Is there any way to set the XBMC volume for music and videos independently? Every music file I have is tagged with ReplayGain using the foobar2000 defaults. Every time I playback music files I have to set the XBMC volume level to about -43 dB for my preferred listening experience. When I switch to a video file I need to reset the volume back up to about -20 dB or I can't hear anything at all. Switching back to music I get blasted until I remember to reset the volume down to -43 again. I would love to set the default volume level differently depending on whether I'm playing back music or videos so I don't have to keep switching the volume multiple times per day. Is this possible?
I don't if this will work as I'm at work with no access to xbmc, but you could try bringing up the OSD with a video playing, see Video_playback#OSD_audio_and_subtitle_settings (wiki) try changing volume there and select "Set as default for all videos" and so all videos have the same volume setting, however I'm not 100% sure is this is remembered if you then adjust volume with music.
I have already tried adjusting the video Volume and it is currently 0 dB and saved as the default value. Adjusting this can help make the videos quieter but I need something that will either significantly boost video volume or significantly drop music volume.
Have you tried the volume amplification settings?
I have Volume Amplification set to +50 dB which definitely helps me hear the whispers and not get blown away by special effects in videos but it has absolutely no effect on music volume. I think I need to clarify this. The volume during video playback is consistent and I'm happy with the difference between whispers, normal speech, and special effects. It is switching between a video file (MKV, MP4) and a music file (MP3, Ogg). The difference between a Matroska video and an Ogg Vorbis file is huge. The loud parts of the video are quieter than the soft parts of the Ogg Vorbis file.

I would prefer to reduce the music file volume. I have tried adjusting the "Pre-Amp Level - Replay gained files" but even 77dB with "avoid clipping" produced no tangible reduction in the "loudness" of the music file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Set Volume for Music and Video Independently0