NFS (Network File System) client support to map UNIX / Linux shares and sources?
Why bother with all that? mount server:/share /media/mountpoint

or stick it in your fstab and be done with it. Mine's worked just fine like that for years.

TheUni
I'm using NFS for filesharing. It works really good.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57183

Performance is great. I haven't tested it against samba performance but nfs has less overhead then samba.
theuni Wrote:Why bother with all that? mount server:/share /media/mountpoint

or stick it in your fstab and be done with it. Mine's worked just fine like that for years.

TheUni

I second this. On Linux, just mount the nfs share locally and tell xbmc where it is. Works great for me.
Just to add, I actually had problems with NFS performance with a multi-media system and find that SMB works much better.
Hi,

Would it be possible to add NFS as a network protocol to add sources?
Now I have to fiddle around through SSH with scripts in order to get the mapped drives of my Synology NAS mapped.

Ideally the choice between NFS-TCP and NFS-UDP would be great, this to improve on some Gigabit problems, like it is know on boxes like Popcorn C-200 and Dune 3.0.

Thanks,

M.
Maybe /etc/fstab is your friend.

You can have it automount nfs shares on bootup. This is my, very simple, config. Should work on any linux distro with nfs mounting support.

Code:
serverip:server/share/path /local/mount/point nfs auto 0 0
Not to mention that the NFS overhead is significantly less than that of an SMB share.
Sure, I added mine through the FSTAB but I'm handy with Linux, maybe not all users are so it would be nice to have it in the XBMC GUI, that way they can add without having to go through SSH Wink

Look at boxes like Tvix, Dune, Popcorn Hour, etc... they all have the setting there when you want to add a new share.

Shouldn't be that hard to implement, is it?
Manub Wrote:Sure, I added mine through the FSTAB but I'm handy with Linux, maybe not all users are so it would be nice to have it in the XBMC GUI, that way they can add without having to go through SSH Wink

Look at boxes like Tvix, Dune, Popcorn Hour, etc... they all have the setting there when you want to add a new share.

Shouldn't be that hard to implement, is it?

Well those boxes own their operating system. XBMC is simply an application running on top of the OS and in user mode. I'd consider NFS mounting an OS function. I'm even confused why it has an SMB client built in... I'd guess it's because the original XBox legacy is still hanging around.

UPNP is different... that should be included and relatively automatic (hence the name).

As a developer there's a difference between an application and an "appliance." With appliances you own everything from top to bottom. With applications you let the OS do what the OS does.

I do see the arguments for the other side, mostly due to the "exclusive" nature of XBMC when running on a box... but since it's so platform agnostic, it'd be a huge pain to support every type of mounts on every platform.
I fully agree that there is such difference between an Appliance and an Application, but what would you call XBMC Live then, the OS layer is not even easily accessible or thourgh SSH.

If you install, like me, XBMC Live on an ION, then this box becomes an Appliance.

Of course, if you run it as an application on Windows or Linux then you should do you mappings from the desktop or file manager.
Bumping this thread with this link to an NFS library:
http://www.systems.ethz.ch/education/hs1...ect/libnfs

With XBMC coming to AppleTV and iOS along with Sigma, this would allow another means of connectivity to the outside world. Plus it would allow Windows the ability to read/write from NFS shares.

I know there was a ticket where Davilla talked about possibly adding AFP support. This would allow people in an all Mac household to share stuff easily without resorting to SMB.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Bumping this thread with this link to an NFS library:
http://www.systems.ethz.ch/education/hs1...ect/libnfs

With XBMC coming to AppleTV and iOS along with Sigma, this would allow another means of connectivity to the outside world. Plus it would allow Windows the ability to read/write from NFS shares.

I know there was a ticket where Davilla talked about possibly adding AFP support. This would allow people in an all Mac household to share stuff easily without resorting to SMB.

I would love to see AFP support. Then I would not need to configure anything else, since I primarily use AFP right now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS (Network File System) client support to map UNIX / Linux shares and sources?0