Quick tip for setting up multiple computers to a single database
I'm setting up multiple computers to connect to a single MySQL database (following the LH instructions) and thought of a nice quick tip that may help others.

Instead of creating the advancedsettings.xml file on every computer I'm setting up (4 in total) I created a master file hosted on my file server and created symbolic links on each of the computers to this master file.

This ensures that there's no spelling mistakes in each file, and as I add to the file for new centralized functions, all the remote computers automatically pick up the changes.
I have my two installations sync'd and it's working as far as watched items is concerned. Now I'm trying to sync Icefilms favorites (just created a thread about it) are you doing this as well? If so, how?
I was looking to do this as well. Where did u out the symbolic links? What did it redirect?

Does it also centralize the plugins and settings?
I'm not doing any plugin synchronization....yet.

Once I get my library rebuilt and a bit of free time, maybe I'll look at plugin sync.

As for where to put the symbolic link and file.

My file server is running Windows, as is my regular PC, so I opened a dos window, navigate to the <user>\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata folder and used the following command:

mklink advancedsettings.xml \\<server>\mediaShare\advancedsettings.xml

I'm guessing that since this location isn't stored in the MySQL database, I could have just as easily mapped a drive to \\<server>\<share> then had the link point to drive:\advancedsettings.xml.
PatientZro Wrote:I'm not doing any plugin synchronization....yet.

Once I get my library rebuilt and a bit of free time, maybe I'll look at plugin sync.

As for where to put the symbolic link and file.

My file server is running Windows, as is my regular PC, so I opened a dos window, navigate to the <user>\appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata folder and used the following command:

mklink advancedsettings.xml \\<server>\mediaShare\advancedsettings.xml

I'm guessing that since this location isn't stored in the MySQL database, I could have just as easily mapped a drive to \\<server>\<share> then had the link point to drive:\advancedsettings.xml.

Thanks for the info. I have atv2's as my front ends to the mysql database so I guess it would be different. I'm going to search around and see if this is possible on the atv2. Would make things easier to manage.
If I understand correct, atv's use a custom build of Linux as an OS for XBMC, so you should still be able to do symlinks.

After thinking about the plugins, I am thinking that since XBMC can be run from USB, it should be able to symlink the entire folder structure...something for me to look into.
I'm using a NAS Server where I can't install MySQL. Would it be possible to share the whole Database between different Windows-builds on the NAS via symlink? Or would I brick it when accessing the DB from 2 XBMCs at the same time?
hömma Wrote:I'm using a NAS Server where I can't install MySQL. Would it be possible to share the whole Database between different Windows-builds on the NAS via symlink? Or would I brick it when accessing the DB from 2 XBMCs at the same time?

From what I have read, it is said you will mess up the DB if you try to do this. The only way is to have a central MYSQL database.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quick tip for setting up multiple computers to a single database0