Updating my OS from 8.10 to...
I am currently happy with my full version ubuntu 8.10 setup and my self build of xbmc from svn at the moment. However, I wanted to upgrade the OS and start building the latest release of xbmc. I am wondering what revision of the OS would be the best to install. I have my hard drive in 3 partitions - one that contains the /home folder for xbmc data, another that contains the 8.10 OS, and a third that contains windows 7 for a dual boot option.

I know previously that it was a bit cumbersome to get my setup working properly. I had to spend time setting up things like lirc, power management, and VDPAU just to name a few. I have lacked the time to spend hours on setting up a new OS to get back to the functionality I am currently at today. That being said, I do want a full blown linux installation not just a xbmc live installation.

Does anyone have a recommendations for what OS might work best with XBMC out of the box? I plan on building xbmc from the GIT repositories (as that where they are stored now i believe). In addition, is VDPAU still the main decoding NVIDIA users want to use?
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
if you do upgrade, go for oneiric(11.10). On the other hand 12.04 will be released in 3 months.
Your nvidia card should still do it vdpau being still the best although ati and intel are catching up lately.
I'm not sure what your time-line is going to be. But 12.04 is going to be an LTS release. That might be a good bet in the end!

I'm currently on 11.10 but I'll surely update!
I am guessing this is not possible, but can I keep 8.10 setup and still build the latest xbmc through GIT with it?
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updating my OS from 8.10 to...0