[LINUX] which LCD/LED flat TV supports 1920x1080 from linux with intel i3 (HD 2000)?
Balinus Wrote:Your TV is indeed not a "Full HD" TV.
My TV? The Philips? True.

Quote:Basically, over HDMI, almost every new TV will display 1920x1080p from a computer. At least, recent computer with a decent video card.
I guess new is the keyword here.

Quote:When the manual says PC input, they only refer to a computer connected through the VGA port, not a computer connected through the HDMI port.
I invite you to check the manual I linked. It clearly mentions PC connected from HDMI. I understand why you can't accept the nature of this problem since it seems obvious to me too that an 1080p TV should accept 1920x1080 over HDMI. But I think you're wrong, even if I don't know the technical reason why. But the manual is crystal clear.

maybe HDCP as svtfmook says? I'll google it.
svtfmook Wrote:HDCP is the problem.

or lack there of.

do you think you could expand a bit on this?

What device should have / not have High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and what's the outcome of it?
alfonso78 Wrote:I invite you to check the manual I linked. It clearly mentions PC connected from HDMI. I understand why you can't accept the nature of this problem since it seems obvious to me too that an 1080p TV should accept 1920x1080 over HDMI. But I think you're wrong, even if I don't know the technical reason why. But the manual is crystal clear.

I did read the pages you mentioned.

On page 23 :

"The HDMI sockets support the following video inputs only:
480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p.
For PC video inputs, see page 50."

On page 50 : It states the supported resolution from the PC port (aka VGA port), not through the ones from the HDMI ports where supported resolutions are stated at page 23. The infos on page 50 are not relevant for HDMI inputs supported resolution.

It is stated the same way in my manual of my TV and I can have 1920x1080 with HDMI and 1366x768 from the PC port.

Anyway, do you have the Sony? or was it just an example?
alfonso78 Wrote:do you think you could expand a bit on this?

What device should have / not have High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and what's the outcome of it?
i didn't mean HDCP, i meant EDID.

monitors have an EDID that gives information to your display adapter, telling it what resolutions and refresh rates work on that display.
Balinus Wrote:I did read the pages you mentioned.

On page 23 :

"The HDMI sockets support the following video inputs only:
480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p.
For PC video inputs, see page 50."

On page 50 : It states the supported resolution from the PC port (aka VGA port), not through the ones from the HDMI ports where supported resolutions are stated at page 23. The infos on page 50 are not relevant for HDMI inputs supported resolution.

on the bottom of page 50:
"PC input signal reference chart for HDMI IN 1, 2, 3"
and again max is 1280 x 1024!

Quote:Anyway, do you have the Sony? or was it just an example?

a guy sells one used for 350 EUR (445 USD) and I managed to bring it down to 280 EUR (355 USD) but I still believe it's too high. If it was capable of 1920x1080 with a PC I would buy it.
svtfmook Wrote:i didn't mean HDCP, i meant EDID.

monitors have an EDID that gives information to your display adapter, telling it what resolutions and refresh rates work on that display.

Under Linux (possibly under Windows also), you can force settings of the EDID in xorg.conf. Which is a way to circumvent the lack of EDID.

For example, see here.
svtfmook Wrote:i didn't mean HDCP, i meant EDID.

thank you!

and for what reason the EDID of a 1080p TV reports max 1280x1024? ??

And is there any way to force 1920x1080 on such TV?
alfonso78 Wrote:on the bottom of page 50:
"PC input signal reference chart for HDMI IN 1, 2, 3"
and again max is 1280 x 1024!

a guy sells one used for 350 EUR (445 USD) and I managed to bring it down to 280 EUR (355 USD) but I still believe it's too high. If it was capable of 1920x1080 with a PC I would buy it.

oh! missed that 2nd table.

I'd look elsewhere for a new TV. Seems pricey for a used TV. Anyway, as you found in the manual, it doesn't seem to support 1080p from a PC connected by HDMI. Which I find strange!

There's good price on Panasonic plasma (if plasma is your thing!).
Balinus Wrote:Under Linux (possibly under Windows also), you can force settings of the EDID in xorg.conf. Which is a way to circumvent the lack of EDID.

For example, see here.

hold oooooooooooooooooooon!

Are you telling me I could see 1920x1080 on a 1080p TV which reports only up to 1280x1024?

could I prepare the xorg.conf at home? I should test this at a stranger's home, I can't go on testing for hours!
In theory I'd love to have my PC ready, connect and if I see a screen, bingo! Smile
alfonso78 Wrote:And is there any way to force 1920x1080 on such TV?

See my earlier post. But you won't know until you try on the Sony.... hit or miss!
alfonso78 Wrote:could I prepare the xorg.conf at home? I should test this at a stranger's home, I can't go on testing for hours!
In theory I'd love to have my PC ready, connect and if I see a screen, bingo! Smile

You could do that. How's your linux skill? This kind of troubleshooting can take time (read hours/days).
Balinus Wrote:You could do that. How's your linux skill? This kind of troubleshooting can take time (read hours/days).

well, I would probably rate myself a "prosumer"... so I can take a stub at it. Any suggestion on where to start?

thank you!
alfonso78 Wrote:well, I would probably rate myself a "prosumer"... so I can take a stub at it. Any suggestion on where to start?

thank you!

Maybe here? : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54685

At least, you'll be able to test which mode are valid and which aren't.
Balinus Wrote:Maybe here? : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54685

At least, you'll be able to test which mode are valid and which aren't.

thank you,

it seems it's a known bug and now I'm touch with the driver developers.

Let's hope this will get fixed soon:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/in...14480.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] which LCD/LED flat TV supports 1920x1080 from linux with intel i3 (HD 2000)?0