[HTPC] bedroom box
Hey guys, my first post here Smile decided to sign up and ask for your advice as i usually lurk around here.

Going back some time i bought a HTPC it gets used for everything and does the job just fine.

Anyway i've now put a TV in my bedroom and i want a little pc to just sit next to the TV so i can access everything from the main HTPC.

Now i'm thinking of the following for my bedroom,

I'm thinking the PSU that comes in that case won't be good enough? If that's the case i'll upgrade to the following case http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main...s_id=12254 I think i may just go ahead and do this anyway.

I started off wanting something around $250 but as usual when you build a pc it gets blown away. The case i linked is almost $100 more which isn't great, it's going to be hidden but i figured the PSU in the $35 case is a real let down. I also assume the $35 case can only fit a micro itx psu ?

Depending on case and PSU will probably be the difference between $260 and $350+

Do you guys think this is the best way to go?
Maybe consider an AMD solution, could be much quieter/smaller i.e. a Zbox or even a Foxconn nt-a3500? See Blu-ray's thread Big Grin

You could even use an ATV2 if you wanted...
This is assuming your demands are ONLY to stream and nothing else more "pc"like!
Love XBMC too check this -> HERE (Last Updated: 25/01/2012)

check out the xbmcmediacentre.com competition!

My hate campaign on optical discs started young, sorry I can't help it. :rolleyes:
problaze Wrote:Maybe consider an AMD solution, could be much quieter/smaller i.e. a Zbox or even a Foxconn nt-a3500? See Blu-ray's thread Big Grin

You could even use an ATV2 if you wanted...
This is assuming your demands are ONLY to stream and nothing else more "pc"like!

Thanks, i'm not all up to date on AMD Chips. I'll check out blu rays thread got a link? i'm having trouble finding it.

I think it's best to go with a pc based system. Allows for a bit more freedom in the future.
Okay i've decided i'm getting a bigger TV than i first thought so i wouldn't mind being able to play some games (medium/high) depending on the game. This is what i'm currently looking at.

The main HTPC will be downloading/storing everything so this will only really play games, stream videos and surf the web.

Which would be better?

SubNoize, your deciding factor is the games u plan to run....
this will change it all...
I have one HTPC in my TV room and all the bedrooms use AppleTV2's running XBMC. I think this is a better, certainly cheaper and quieter solution.
SubNoize Wrote:Okay i've decided i'm getting a bigger TV than i first thought so i wouldn't mind being able to play some games (medium/high) depending on the game. This is what i'm currently looking at.
If you want to play some games, this one might be the best choice. I'm suggesting the Silverstone SG06B (because it's my favorite) case to go along with it. With A8-3870 APU (powerful 3.0GHz quad-core and HD6550D iGPU), you'll have cleaner installation with less component than Intel and discrete GPU. You'll enjoy it! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:If you want to play some games, this one might be the best choice. I'm suggesting the Silverstone SG06B (because it's my favorite) case to go along with it. With A8-3870 APU (powerful 3.0GHz quad-core and HD6550D iGPU), you'll have cleaner installation with less component than Intel and discrete GPU. You'll enjoy it! Smile

cheers, i was going to go the intel option but i'll give AMD another chance if yo say it's better Smile
SubNoize Wrote:cheers, i was going to go the intel option but i'll give AMD another chance if yo say it's better Smile
If you want to see the comparison between i3 and A8-3850, you can check out these tests-High Definition Content for the Masses. A8 have the upper hand with its discrete level HD6550D iGPU over i3 HDxxx iGPU.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HTPC] bedroom box0