I'm really impressed with the XBMC PVR code and looking at using it (with a tvheadend backend) to replace my Sky+HD box when my contract runs out, rather than buying a standalone Freesat+HD box.
However there are a few issues that I'm currently investigating that I think I need to sort out before I can go out and by the full kit (I'm using borrowed stuff at the moment), without getting shouted at by the wife and ordered to get a Freesat box!
Some of the issues I believe are just TBDs, other seem more like minor issues:
- Pause Button - I appear to be able to pause live tv (haven't checked if this is done front or backend). But I cannot seem to use any keyboard shortcuts for it, I can only do it from the OSD.
- Series Link - I'm guessing this would possibly require backend support? I know I can set regexp's, but that's not quite the same. I must admit I've not fully investigated this yet.
- Now/Next OSD - similar to found on Sky and other PVR kit. I.e. when changing channels I can see now/next for the channel (not sure if a skin mod can achieve this), But I'd also like to be able to skip through the channels in this, without actually retuning the playing channel.
- Channel "Buffering" - This is merely a suggestion. Although the channel change timeis actually quite good, the "buffering" dialog shown during the change can be (in most skins) quite intrusive and actually has the effect of making the user "perceive" a longer change time. I've remove the dialog from my setup by modding the skin. Anyway just a thought.
- Auto start playback - There is a config option to start the last played channel on startup. Personally I'd like to see a start the last played channel when entering LiveTV. Not sure if there is a shortcut that could be mapped (custom menu) in place of the existing LiveTV menu button.
- Recording - I cannot start a recording from XBMC, though I can record by using tvheadend web interface. Not sure whether others have experienced this and whether its a bug or simply a setup issue?
- NOT XBMC ISSUE - EPG grabbing in tvheadend (via XMLTV grabbers) is awfully slow. I'm actually investigating this with the xmltv authors and have discovered where the fault lies. I've actually implemented my own version of the Radio Times grabber (in python) which is approx 30x faster. So I might actually be able to contribute something useful to this, should anyone else be using this and find it rather annoying.