[Linux] No playback advance with display in standby mode
Hi,
I want to use XBMC primarily for listening to music and therefore put my screen in standby via

Code:
xset dpms force standby

Now, when this is done, XBMC continues with playback, but does not advance to the next song in the playlist until I stop the standby by moving the mouse, for example. Any ideas what can cause this? I assume the DPMS interface of XBMC recognises the standby state of the display which makes it think it has to go into a standby mode on its own. If this is true, how can I disable this feature? Thanks in advance.

Edit: So here is a (slightly shortened) debug log:

http://pastebin.com/AJbx3zS0

Notice the gap between 10:16:48 and 10:16:51.

Code:
DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 133, sym: 311, unicode: 0, modifier: 10

is my keypress for display standby, but I see nothing suspicious there except for

Code:
DEBUG: Previous line repeats 45 times.
bump
sleep your display, not the screen. when you sleep the screen, xbmc cannot render.
Thanks for the reply, davilla. I don't know if I understand correctly, but if you mean I should rather blank the screen instead of sending it to standby, this will not exactly help reduce power consumption. If I misunderstood, could you explain which command I should invoke?

Apart from that, I had some more time to dig into the matter and found out a bit more:

I run XBMC in windowed mode in openbox. If I switch to another desktop, send my screen to standby and stay on that desktop (i.e. not where XBMC is running), then everything is fine. If I switch back to the XBMC desktop, even if it is done automatically with a time delay, the strange behaviour remains.

As a preliminary solution, the key which should trigger the standby now calls a script which alternates between two things: switching to another desktop and calling the standby command on the one hand, switching back to the XBMC window on the other.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] No playback advance with display in standby mode0