Questions on ripping Blue-Ray collection
So I tried to use makemkv and then use handbrake to shrink it down. For some reason when I shrink it down the final file has issues. It will skip around sometimes and even speed up the framerate for a few moments and then to normal. Happened on the 2 movies I tried it on. Any ideas? Have you ever had issues like this?

Do I need to use nightlies of Handbrake? I was using the one posted on their website which is 0.9.5
Also how do I extract just the subtitles that need to show up to understand foreign speaking in an English film (e.g. Amistad), when I rip with DVDFab or Makemkv?

Do I use forced subtitles somehow? Thanks.
Fyi.....DvdFab (bluray ripper) will also encode to smaller file sizes. There is no need to go through the previous 3 pages of suggestions. It will also make pretty quick (relatively) work of the encode if you have an Nvidia gpu (it can use CUDA and have the hardware assist).

DVDFab will rip to .mkv and encode to a smaller file all in 1 step.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
Hmm. I don't think I realized it could do both in one step.
ghart999 Wrote:So I tried to use makemkv and then use handbrake to shrink it down. For some reason when I shrink it down the final file has issues. It will skip around sometimes and even speed up the framerate for a few moments and then to normal. Happened on the 2 movies I tried it on. Any ideas? Have you ever had issues like this?

Do I need to use nightlies of Handbrake? I was using the one posted on their website which is 0.9.5
If the file has HD audio, Handbrake won't be able to do it properly. Make sure you remove HD audio first and use only AC3 or DTS core.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
MidnightWatcher Wrote:If the file has HD audio, Handbrake won't be able to do it properly. Make sure you remove HD audio first and use only AC3 or DTS core.

Hmmm. Ok.

So does handbrake not handle HD audio from mts files either or just not from an uncompressed mkv?

So if I wanted HD Audio as part of a compressed MKV, what options do I have?
ghart999 Wrote:Hmm. I don't think I realized it could do both in one step.
DVDFab can do just about everything. As I mentioned it in the earlier post, it can convert blu-ray faster than others too!

You can download their trial version, and give it a try- Blu-ray Ripper.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:DVDFab can do just about everything. As I mentioned it in the earlier post, it can convert blu-ray faster than others too!

You can download their trial version, and give it a try- Blu-ray Ripper.

I actually already have a license for blue-ray ripper, but I have only been using it for ripping to mts only. Great to know I can use it for both mkv conversion as well as compression.

Blueray maybe you can answer another question for me. I bought the Oynko 2.1 setup per your recommendation. I love it thus far. My question is if I rip an mkv that has both 5.1 and 2.1 audio tracks, how do I toggle the tracks in XBMC? It seems that no matter what movie I watch it also shows "Stereo" on the receiver of the Oynko. Do I need to set the receiver to direct input and it will change to the right setting depending on what audio track is being sent out from the HTPC?
ghart999 Wrote:Hmmm. Ok.

So does handbrake not handle HD audio from mts files either or just not from an uncompressed mkv?

So if I wanted HD Audio as part of a compressed MKV, what options do I have?
Handbrake hasn't handled HD audio for me on either .m2ts or .mkv rips. Maybe it needs to be updated to allow HD audio passthrough.

Your only option is probably to allow DVDFab to re-encode the MKV if you want to keep the HD audio (I haven't done this so I can't confirm).
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
ghart999 Wrote:I actually already have a license for blue-ray ripper, but I have only been using it for ripping to mts only. Great to know I can use it for both mkv conversion as well as compression.

Blueray maybe you can answer another question for me. I bought the Oynko 2.1 setup per your recommendation. I love it thus far. My question is if I rip an mkv that has both 5.1 and 2.1 audio tracks, how do I toggle the tracks in XBMC? It seems that no matter what movie I watch it also shows "Stereo" on the receiver of the Oynko. Do I need to set the receiver to direct input and it will change to the right setting depending on what audio track is being sent out from the HTPC?
If you already have DVDfab blu-ray ripper license, you shouldn't have to use anthing else. It'll rip/convert all blu-ray files with DTS-HD/TrueHD audio too!

You can do as following to configure audio output:

1. Make sure that your GPU driver is up to date. If it is not, you can update from AMD website- Graphics Drivers & Software
2. Select AMD HDMI audio output in Windows 7 control panel
3. For XBMC, you do as shown in the screen shot below

That Onkyo AVR can playback DTS-HD/TrueHD too. You can setup MPC-HC as XBMC external player for bitstreaming, and you can use my guide in this thread- Working External Player Solution.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
thanks blueray
One more question about HD Audio. If I only have an HD Audio stream in my video file, what happens when:

1) I play the file back on a HD Audio capable receiver but with only a 2.1 speaker system hooked up to. With this still play OK and just be in 2.1 format?

2) What if I play this through a non HD Audio device such as an older receiver or even through TV speakers? Will it actually be able to downconvert to stereo or something or do I have to include a 2.1 audio track if I ever want to play the movies on non HD Audio equipment?

Thanks.
ghart999 Wrote:One more question about HD Audio. If I only have an HD Audio stream in my video file, what happens when:

1) I play the file back on a HD Audio capable receiver but with only a 2.1 speaker system hooked up to. With this still play OK and just be in 2.1 format?
Your AVR know exactly how to decode it and distribute it to your 2.1 speakers.

ghart999 Wrote:2) What if I play this through a non HD Audio device such as an older receiver
You're AVR still know exactly what to do with it.
ghart999 Wrote:or even through TV speakers? Will it actually be able to downconvert to stereo or something or do I have to include a 2.1 audio track if I ever want to play the movies on non HD Audio equipment?

Thanks.
In this case, your TV speakers will not know what to with the passthrough codec. You'll not hear sound. You'll need to deselect "capable receiver option", and XBMC will decode it instead!
Make sense. Thanks.

So as a whole I don't need to add 2.1 or a stereo track to my movies as either the receiver or XBMC itself will know how to down-convert a multi-channel track if needed.

Blueray - slightly off-topic but does Eden Beta 1 or 2 know how to bitsteam HD audio natively or would I still need the external player solution whether Dharma or Eden?

Now what about MPC-HD? I assume if I play a movie directly through it, it will do HD Audio as it looks like that's one of the external players I can use via your thread.
ghart999 Wrote:Make sense. Thanks.

So as a whole I don't need to add 2.1 or a stereo track to my movies as either the receiver or XBMC itself will know how to down-convert a multi-channel track if needed.
Regardless of how many channels AVR received, modern AVR know exactly how many speakers are connected to it and it know how to distribute it to all speakers too.

ghart999 Wrote:Blueray - slightly off-topic but does Eden Beta 1 or 2 know how to bitsteam HD audio natively or would I still need the external player solution whether Dharma or Eden?
No released XBMC support HD audio. The easiest way to bitstreaming is by setup XBMC external player, and you can find the instruction in my signature.

ghart999 Wrote:Now what about MPC-HD? I assume if I play a movie directly through it, it will do HD Audio as it looks like that's one of the external players I can use via your thread.
No, MPC-HC cannot bitstream without proper setup. You can find the instruction on how to setup MPC-HC for bitstreaming in my signature.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions on ripping Blue-Ray collection0