A few questions
Yeah, something like that would work well. You'd have to configure something yourself to automate the back-up. With something like that you'd be completely safe except from a catastrophic loss of your home.
Like with Acronis or Shadow Protect backing up across the network or is there a better solution you were suggesting?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I can't say, I've never looked into those kinds of solutions. If I was doing it myself I'd probably search around for some free linux software, but off-hand I can't suggest anything.
Yeah it's a tough area eventually backing up 8TB of data. For now I can backup using Shadow Protect to an external 2Tb drive but soon that won't do. I'm still torn if I should keep the RAID6 or just switch it over to a RAID0 and have 8TB at my disposal and get a NAS eventually.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
patseguin Wrote:I never accidentally delete

If I had a pound for every time I've heard that :-)

I wouldn't use RAID0 on your server because SATA disks do fail. Use RAID5 to give you 6TB. Then but whatever NAS you like and set it up with a 6TB 4 disk RAID5 just like your server. Then backup the data from the server to the NAS.

The NAS you mentioned is probably fine. My favourite NASes are the Synology range and my second favourites are the QNAPs. We have dozens of both scattered around the North West of the UK and they backup terabytes of data every night. The Synologies will even run apps like Sickbeard and Sabnzbd.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:If I had a pound for every time I've heard that :-)

I wouldn't use RAID0 on your server because SATA disks do fail. Use RAID5 to give you 6TB. Then but whatever NAS you like and set it up with a 6TB 4 disk RAID5 just like your server. Then backup the data from the server to the NAS.

The NAS you mentioned is probably fine. My favourite NASes are the Synology range and my second favourites are the QNAPs. We have dozens of both scattered around the North West of the UK and they backup terabytes of data every night. The Synologies will even run apps like Sickbeard and Sabnzbd.

JR

LOL, OK thanks for the advice. I may switch to RAID5 before restoring my data then.
Ok do reconfigured my raid to raid 5 and had my 1tb of data on a USB drive. It is taking 8 hours to copy. Does that sound right at all? I came home today to a blue screen and had to start all over. It shouldn't take 8 hours to copy 1tb over usb3 should it?
When you have the first backup done, I'd suggest to find a software for smart and incremental backups. I've heard a lot of good about Deltacopy/Rsync, although I've never used them full scale myself (only does some minor laptop => server backups). It's a great piece of software in the way that it backups byte-by-byte, so if a 500Mb file has changed, it will only transfer the bytes changed, not the entire file.

I'm sure there are also others, so do a google to find your prefered setup.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Well what I am getting at is my RAID 5 set up correctly. I have everything on the volume now and I am moving 36GB of data fromone folder to another and it's taking 20 minutes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A few questions0