Ubuntu 11.10 for Server OS?
I'm having issues with my tower (server) that currently is running Win 7.

I'm tempted to try a full new install of the OS but was thinking as all I use it for is serving media, sabnzbd and sickbeard, I may try Ubuntu 11.10.

There's desktop and server version, but I couldn't see a list of differences.

Which one will work best serving to XBMClive over network?

Thanks
desktop has a GUI, and a lot more overheads
server does not - its only a terminal (command line)

Ubuntu will let u set up NFS shares, assume its a wired network they are faster.
SSH for secure remote access.
It will do most things a windows will.
Its free

I have a Ubuntu server acting as a file server and it works well. I also have a TV card and installed VDR (video disk recorder) so any other XBMC client can watch / record TV
That's good to hear.

One drawback is I have read a few issues with hardware, such as my Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8...

Do you use sickbeard and Sabnzbd?

Can you remote in to the GUI?
I tried running 11.10 from USB but it hangs with a message about device-mapper: dm-raid45 but goes no further.

I'll try the previous Ubuntu version and see if it gets further, being the LTS version.
I'm running Ubuntu Server 11.10 and it is perfect! No hassles or hiccups with it.

I do most of my managing by webmin (web based manager) or CLI, but also have the option of using the GUI if I must. If you want to get all the desktop features all you do is type 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop' leave it for a few hours, come back and you will have a nice GUI desktop if that takes your fancy. You can then setup VPN access to keep the server headless if you wish.

I previously came from WHS, so I have personal experience with both and I can say without a doubt that converting over to Ubuntu Server was the right chioce. The beauty is that it comes working with all the server stuff, like LAMP and samba, where managing is either with webmin.
Also running ubuntu server (11.04) for sickbeard, sab, couchpotato ,headphones as well as virtual host, and the thing is rock solid, has been rebooted once since August and that was because of a power outage
I've installed 10.04 in the end. Due to the SAS card, I had to test by running Ubuntu via USB first. 11.10 didn't get further than I stated above, so was a none starter.

10.04 works like a charm so far, although I haven't put the server back to server duties yet. I'm taking this opportunity to move and reorganize my media on the 9 drives so they're better distributed.

I will be sharing via SMB as this is what I'm used to. I briefly tried it when running from USB and it served to my XBMC laptop client just fine.

Hardest part so far was renaming drive labels. Used gparted in the end, was the only way that worked. I have got sab and sickbeard running and configured too! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 11.10 for Server OS?0