ATV2 with subtitles enabled causes lag
Use the Crunchyroll plugin from the link in my signature until the issue is resolved.
Voinage Wrote:Use the Crunchyroll plugin from the link in my signature until the issue is resolved.

But where am I gonna get my absurd over the top combining robot show of forbidden youth love (Aquarion EVOL)?! :D

But yeah, Crunchyroll is great for this. Some fansubbers still have some bad feelings for the site (back when it was very different) but the translations are good and the releases are fast.

Is this copy of the Crunchyroll add-on any different from the one found at: http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addon-repository/ ?
Voinage's copy uses the hardsubbed mp4 files that mobile devices use, the one in my repo actually decrypts the subs to ASS/SRT files and then has XBMC use those.
Ned: keep in mind, it is something specific to processing the subs that causes it to go super high cpu. On a portion of a streamed video where there is no audio (and therefor no subtitles) going on, the atv2 works just fine with the cpu hovering around 30-40%. No stuttering or jumpyness, but the second a subtitle pops up the cpu jumps up to 100%.

Agreed that it could be something in the apple software itself, but it seems strange. The ATV2 just doing normal apple stuff can play subtitles without any problems, so there has to be some way to feed the subtitles to the system.

Do you or does anyone else have any ideas? Is there anything we can check?
tarjan Wrote:Ned: keep in mind, it is something specific to processing the subs that causes it to go super high cpu. On a portion of a streamed video where there is no audio (and therefor no subtitles) going on, the atv2 works just fine with the cpu hovering around 30-40%. No stuttering or jumpyness, but the second a subtitle pops up the cpu jumps up to 100%.

Agreed that it could be something in the apple software itself, but it seems strange. The ATV2 just doing normal apple stuff can play subtitles without any problems, so there has to be some way to feed the subtitles to the system.

Do you or does anyone else have any ideas? Is there anything we can check?

Hi tarjan,

I have the same idea with yours. Maybe not only the system itself, but also the way XBMC rendering subtitles makes the video stutter.

Or, the Seas0nPass jailbreak of iOS 5 breaks the kernel and makes some application's function weird. As I know, the current Seas0nPass jailbreak still has the sandbox issue. It is fixed by the upcoming update of jailbreak community. Maybe we could ask some jailbreak developers to help. Smile

Linus
Possible. I'm just repeating what's been told to me by the devs (not a programmer myself, though).
How do we get the dev's to notice this issue a bit more? Should we go to the issue tracker that was mentioned earlier and put more details there?

For the other issue, how could we tell if this is a jailbreak issue or if it is an xbmc on ios issue?

BTW, I took a gamble and tried to build eden2 but using a newer revision of the libass library, no change in the behavior. (then I tried to use a newer ffmpeg but gave up on that rather quickly Wink
tarjan Wrote:How do we get the dev's to notice this issue a bit more? Should we go to the issue tracker that was mentioned earlier and put more details there?

Well the ticket was opened 8 months ago and not a single entry came since then. I guess it wouldn't hurt if other people could confirm their request to reduce the cpu usage of the current method xbmc renders subtitles.
we would have done this already if we knew how to do it...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:we would have done this already if we knew how to do it...

Thanks for reply!
I think this is not only XBMC issue but also related to the iOS system. So, We may try to ask some jailbreak developers to help us, such as @comex, @iH8snow, or @MusuleNerd. Wink
linusyang Wrote:Thanks for reply!
I think this is not only XBMC issue but also related to the iOS system. So, We may try to ask some jailbreak developers to help us, such as @comex, @iH8snow, or @MusuleNerd. Wink

comex does not work on jailbreak stuff anymore. iH8snow or MusuleNerd would have no interest in making subtitles render faster.
Memphiz Wrote:we would have done this already if we knew how to do it...

I'm just a long time fan of XBMC and have no idea about how to code but my tests with a relative weak PC showed that the subtitles were perfectly smooth on XBMC-Live 9.10 while it was a littlte bit choppy on Dharma with the very same video + sub. So I guess something like antianalising of subtitles or other new eyecandy features must have been introduced in Dharma causing more cpu usage. We "just" need to identify it in the code and make it possible to disable it.
But as I said I'm not a programmer it's just my 2¢.
davilla Wrote:comex does not work on jailbreak stuff anymore. iH8snow or MusuleNerd would have no interest in making subtitles render faster.

Oh, that's a pity. Sad
I mean the jailbreak which FireCore supplies has some kernel bugs that cause the 'launchctl' issue, sandbox issue and maybe more, will the jailbreak developers help to port 'corona' jailbreak for atv 2?

I think it won't be too difficult to port. Now the corona jailbreak package or redsn0w/sn0wbreeze doesn't support atv 2.
linusyang Wrote:Oh, that's a pity. Sad
I mean the jailbreak which FireCore supplies has some kernel bugs that cause the 'launchctl' issue, sandbox issue and maybe more, will the jailbreak developers help to port 'corona' jailbreak for atv 2?

I think it won't be too difficult to port. Now the corona jailbreak package or redsn0w/sn0wbreeze doesn't support atv 2.

As for as I know, corona is already ported to atv2 by |bile| who also dev SeasonPass. But all this is off-topic for this thread.
since I (still) don't use atvflash mediaplayer - do their subtitles render properly? If someone can confirm - it's a start..
ATV2 4.3 8F455 Seas0npassed / XBMC 11
Samsung HT-P70 5.1 / Samsung WS-32Z419P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 with subtitles enabled causes lag0