[Windows7] Best Setup guide for full time MediaPlayer
I have XBMC working on Win7 with my MCE remote, but i have an issue with it, not always booting stright into XBMC, sometimes dropping into windows, and sometimes not waking from sleep...

I see a quite a few guides on setup, but not sure which one is the best to use.

So my question is what is the best guide to follow for a a full time self booting XBMC, maybe with an option to drop to windows from time to time, but if that will make it less stable ill do 100% XBMC
What hardware do you have (motherboard, NIC, video card, etc)? What version of 7 do you have? What external USB devices do you have?

Because of the myriad of hardware and software choices, there isn't a "best guide" to follow. You have to research your parts, build it, and troubleshoot the problems you encounter.
kegobeer Wrote:What hardware do you have (motherboard, NIC, video card, etc)? What version of 7 do you have? What external USB devices do you have?

Because of the myriad of hardware and software choices, there isn't a "best guide" to follow. You have to research your parts, build it, and troubleshoot the problems you encounter.

Oops I really guess i should have included that.

So my setup is:
A shuttle XS35GT NVIDIA ION
an MCE remote
Im running Windows 7 x64 ultimate

Connected via HDMI to my Harman Kardon AVR-354 Which i use HDMI for 5.1 audio to my livingroom...

Thanks, and sorry for the lack of information on OP
Nathan
Well, the first obvious step is to make sure you've got the latest drivers available, especially your video drivers. After that's done, don't run XBMC - just test the sleep/hibernation of the machine to see if it's working.

If you don't use MCE (or even if you do), you should consider disabling the mcupdate task, because this thing will wake up your pc and try to do an update, then probably fail miserably when trying to resume sleep. I disable this on every HTPC I build, and it definitely solves a lot of sleep issues. If you hit the Windows key and type "task" it will pull up the task scheduler. Navigate to Microsoft->Windows->Media Center and disable the mcupdate task.

Check your event logs to see what's going on right before the sleep command is given, and then look around to see what, if anything, happens to wake it up, cause it to crash, etc. You might find some rogue process or application causing some problems.

After doing all of that, test the sleep action a few times, let it go over night, etc, to see if you've solved the sleep issue. Hopefully that will fix it.

Once that's solved, then you can tackle the XBMC issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows7] Best Setup guide for full time MediaPlayer0