Help with XBMC!
XBMC will play almost everything in the world, as long as it doesn't contain DRM, or in the case of BluRays, it can play them just fine, after you strip the encryption off.

Transcoding is normally what you do if you want to play something on a x360 or a PS3, and that is because those systems only support a few filetypes, transcoding is just encoding on-the-fly to a format supported by the player you want to use.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
The 360 or PS3 can't be an extender for XBMC, can they?

EDIT: Ok a couple problems. I ripped Real Steel to an MKV and it is play fine but with damn subtitles! How do I remove them. Also, I ripped Star Trek to an ISO (38GB, omg) and XBMC won't play it. Do I need external software for XBMC to play ISO's?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
patseguin Wrote:EDIT: Ok a couple problems. I ripped Real Steel to an MKV and it is play fine but with damn subtitles!
Click speaker logo within XBMC playback screen during playback, and you'll have the option to turn off subtitle.

patseguin Wrote:How do I remove them. Also, I ripped Star Trek to an ISO (38GB, omg) and XBMC won't play it. Do I need external software for XBMC to play ISO's?
When you want all the original BD contents, the file is big. 38GB is not the biggest either!

If you install AnyDVD HD and let it run in the background, XBMC will playback ISO or you can setup external player- Working External Player Solution.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
OK I thought someone told me XBMC played ISO's "out of the box". So I will have to run something in the background then?

Weather doesn't work either. I set my location and nothing is displayed. I switched to the other weather app available and it gives me my current conditions but no forecast. I guess that's why it's a beta?
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
It will play ISOs out of the box. You need AnyDVD running in order to disable any copy protection. DVD ISO files work perfectly fine. Bluray ISOs are a bit trickier. See this thread.
I'm confused. Is that thread discussing some 3rd party software or is it saying that blu ray ISO's work out of the box? Because my Star Trek ISO won't play. Is this where AnyDVD HD comes in like bluray said?
patseguin Wrote:I'm confused. Is that thread discussing some 3rd party software or is it saying that blu ray ISO's work out of the box? Because my Star Trek ISO won't play. Is this where AnyDVD HD comes in like bluray said?
Download the 14 days trial version of AnyDVD HD, and try to playback the same BD ISO!

AnyDVD HD is not just decrypt BD, it'll take care of HDCP too... Give it a shot!
Will do!

OK I installed AnyDVD and the ISO still won't play in XBMC. AnyDVD aside, I thought XBMC was supposed to be able to play ISO's out of the box...
Well, nothing I'm doing will let me even see my ISO's now let alone play them. SHould I just give up and keep using M4K like I have been? I watched one last night and it was stunning. If I could get it to do digital surround instead of stereo I wouldn't even waste my time with ISO's.
patseguin Wrote:Will do!

OK I installed AnyDVD and the ISO still won't play in XBMC. AnyDVD aside, I thought XBMC was supposed to be able to play ISO's out of the box...
Is this BD ISO? If it is, you need to install AnyDVD HD version. After you installed it, you need to reboot your computer for it to work.
patseguin Wrote:Thanks, you guys are so helpful it's incredible. I'm now watching great looking Blue Rays right from my HTPC. I haven't tried ISO yet but I'm sure it will work fine as you said. What I did was I bought one of the those hybrid SSD/HD's 500GB as a boot drive then set up a 4 GB RAID0 for all my media. That should carry me a while. I also downgraded from my 6870X2 to an nVidia 430 and it actually works better lol. I have the drives set in BIOS to IDE mode. I was thinking about AHCI for performance but if the setup works, what difference does it make?

I would strongly advise against using RAID0 for your storage. You're basically playing Russian roulette with your data. If one drive dies, you lose everything. Like you said, these BD rips are huge files and take a while to process. Imagine losing them all and having to re-rip everything.

Good choice with the Nvidia 430 though, same card I use in my HTPC!
It'd s Blu Ray ISO I made the DVDFab. I installed AnyDVD HD version and rebooted and XBMC still won't play it.

Oh, and Cancuck you get can bet I'm going to put some serious backup on this thing. :-)
patseguin Wrote:It'd s Blu Ray ISO I made the DVDFab. I installed AnyDVD HD version and rebooted and XBMC still won't play it.

Oh, and Cancuck you get can bet I'm going to put some serious backup on this thing. :-)

Try ripping the ISO with AnyDVD HD instead.

Right click on the AnyDVD tray icon > Rip to Image...

Image Image
If you don't care about the menus and other Bluray extras, just rip to a h264 with 6 channel audio, even multiple audio tracks of you want. Then save the storage space and hassel of dealing with Bluray ISO files. Otherwise you may need to do some experimenting and reading thru others trials.
Ooh Canuck that;s a good idea. Do you think AnyDVD need to be the one that rips it in order for it to be played in xbmc?

Kricker, yeah I basically want to go through and just play the main features in bets possible audio be TrueHD, DTS, or whatever. What do you rip with?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with XBMC!0