Apple Remote changes volume with "Up" and "Down" keys
Hi all!

I have an annoying issue I cannot resolve for some time. My XBMC box is Mac Mini, adn I am using Apple Remote (2) to control it.

From time to time when it wakes up, up and down keys on the remote start affecting master volume. To fix it I have to stop XBMC, disable and enable remote on the system panel and then start XBMC again.

This dance really gets to me lately. I am looking for a definite solution concerning this issue. Do you know any way to avoid apple remote controlling volume? How can I turn down just volume control, but leave the rest of functionality alone?

It seems controlling is on OS level, not through XBMC. But I have not find any way to tweak this. I can disable apple remote completely, but not just volume control.

iTunes and/or any applications other than XBMC are not running.

Thanks for all your ideas.
let me guess, OSX Lion....
One solution could be FLIRC (FLIRC.tv) as it can "learn" the appletv remote, when FLIRC connects to a machine it appears as a usb keyboard sending key presses.

Don't know of any settings to change tho, sorry.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
varera Wrote:Hi all!

I have an annoying issue I cannot resolve for some time. My XBMC box is Mac Mini, adn I am using Apple Remote (2) to control it.

From time to time when it wakes up, up and down keys on the remote start affecting master volume. To fix it I have to stop XBMC, disable and enable remote on the system panel and then start XBMC again.

This dance really gets to me lately. I am looking for a definite solution concerning this issue. Do you know any way to avoid apple remote controlling volume? How can I turn down just volume control, but leave the rest of functionality alone?

It seems controlling is on OS level, not through XBMC. But I have not find any way to tweak this. I can disable apple remote completely, but not just volume control.

iTunes and/or any applications other than XBMC are not running.

Thanks for all your ideas.

There is a patch to "fix" this problem. I applied it search on Google for
PlayButtoniTunesPatch_0.8.1 (http://www.thebitguru.com/projects/iTunesPatch)

Vince
reactor789,

The iTunesPatch only fixes the situation where you press the play/pause button on the Apple remote and iTunes launches. The problem that varera is referring has to do with OS X 10.7.2 recapturing control of the Apple remote after wake from sleep.

varera,

This is how I resolved the issue: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=121137.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
Hi,

This very annoyance is really getting to me. I have prevented iTunes from starting when using my Harmony remote, but OSX still tries to turn up/down volume when I go up/down on the remote. It doesn't do anything, it just looks really annoying when the Apple volume sign goes off/on all the time.

Besides going through all these steps, is there not a more non-expert way of fixing this?

Bo
KillerBob Wrote:Hi,

This very annoyance is really getting to me. I have prevented iTunes from starting when using my Harmony remote, but OSX still tries to turn up/down volume when I go up/down on the remote. It doesn't do anything, it just looks really annoying when the Apple volume sign goes off/on all the time.

Besides going through all these steps, is there not a more non-expert way of fixing this?

Bo

No, you have to do the expert ways as it takes a large hammer to keep itune/osx from having exclusive control of the up/dn keys.
Download and install Candelair (just google it), which is a free alternative Apple IR driver. Fixes this issues.
ASRock Vision 3D Core i5 // Windows 7 Professional 64bit // 4TB Storage // Harmony 885 // NAD 775HD // Pioneer Plasma
Revoltage Wrote:Download and install Candelair (just google it), which is a free alternative Apple IR driver. Fixes this issues.

unfortunately it doesn't
I went through this a few days ago, and eventually got it to work;

1) Make sure your remotes (Harmony, Apple, or otherwise) are NOT paired in OSX (System Preferences/Security & Privacy/General),
2) Make sure iTunes is not paired with any of your remotes (iTunes/Preferences/Devices),
3) Ensure there is a connection, and that the remote can control XBMC,
4) Install Candelair,
5) Setup XBMC for the correct remote, Harmony or Apple.

That should fix it. At least that's exactly the steps I used, and it works.

Bo
Hey !

THX ! this worked for me ! I was about buying remote buddy !

I didn't respected the order but I try all of them and finally working perfectly on OSX Lion 10.7.4 and apple remote with the universal remote mode (can start with menu key, navigate in the menu and change the volume with keys up/down)

THX again !
'my' solution: see other thread

Maybe someone can close this thread and focus on one thread
, they're all handling the same problem...
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple Remote changes volume with "Up" and "Down" keys0