Desktop > VLC > XBMC > TV
I have a PC (Win7); VLC 1.1.11 installed on the PC; XBMC 10.1 installed on the PC

I would like to stream my PC screen contents in real-time to XBMC via VLC and from XBMC to my TV.

Does anyone know how to 'connect' the VLC stream to XBMC?

Searching all pages of this forum has brought forward no help.

TIA
What? What is running in VLC that you can't just watch in XBMC? Also, is your TV connected to your PC?
YodaEXE Wrote:What? What is running in VLC that you can't just watch in XBMC? Also, is your TV connected to your PC?

I want to 'watch' the desktop of the PC with VLC and stream it to the TV via XBMC. The TV is networked via LAN.

End result = I see the desktop on the TV screen

The TV has a media player and can 'see' XBMC
i have just put an hdmi cable in my graphic card and then in tv so i see extended screen or mirrored screen. what i want. why should i use vlc?
Nimo Wrote:i have just put an hdmi cable in my graphic card and then in tv so i see extended screen or mirrored screen. what i want. why should i use vlc?

I don't understand the question either.

HDMI->TV - done Shocked
makem Wrote:I want to 'watch' the desktop of the PC with VLC and stream it to the TV via XBMC. The TV is networked via LAN.

End result = I see the desktop on the TV screen

The TV has a media player and can 'see' XBMC

It sounds as if you're playing media from XBMC by using the TVs uPnP client. If so this isn't a great way to use XBMC. the best option is to connect your PC to the TV i.e. the TV is acting as a display for the PC.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:It sounds as if you're playing media from XBMC by using the TVs uPnP client. If so this isn't a great way to use XBMC. the best option is to connect your PC to the TV i.e. the TV is acting as a display for the PC.

JR

I want to avoid the need to have a trailing cable across the 5 metres of the room. So I want a wireless connection.

Hence stream from VLC which can grab the screan in realtime. Then pass the stream to XBMC which can pass it on to the TV
try whdi here
If your using your tv upnp then why the need for xbmc?
mrhyde1969 Wrote:If your using your tv upnp then why the need for xbmc?

I don't know if I am actually 'using' the TV upnp. I just know that a media server can be seen in a list by the TV when I select the tv's media player facility. I can then play whatever FILE is served by the remote media player.

I don't want to just serve/stream a file, I want to see the desktop in realtime as I would by using a cable.

Perhaps you can explain upnp?
makem Wrote:I don't know if I am actually 'using' the TV upnp. I just know that a media server can be seen in a list by the TV when I select the tv's media player facility. I can then play whatever FILE is served by the remote media player.

I don't want to just serve/stream a file, I want to see the desktop in realtime as I would by using a cable.

Perhaps you can explain upnp?

I'd be willing to be that you're not going to get realtime with something like this. It may be close, but there's going to be some sort of a delay. So, if you're planning to try and play games or something over this, I would scrap the plan.
YodaEXE Wrote:I'd be willing to be that you're not going to get realtime with something like this. It may be close, but there's going to be some sort of a delay. So, if you're planning to try and play games or something over this, I would scrap the plan.

No, I dont play games. I want to see a streamed TV channel from China on my TV rather than watch it on a small pc screen.
when you just want to see your desktop then the best for you is whdi. just duplicate your screen in settings and put it with hdmi in your tv. no cable no extra tools no problems. but expensive.
Nimo Wrote:when you just want to see your desktop then the best for you is whdi. just duplicate your screen in settings and put it with hdmi in your tv. no cable no extra tools no problems. but expensive.

Yes, it is looking as if that is the way to go so I will just have to try justify the expense one day. Birthday/xmas pressie?

I am surprised that we have a tv and a pc on the LAN. The pc can receive a web page video like utube. The tv can see a media server on the pc.

Yet we cannot get the video from the pc to the tv without a cable or expensive whdi.

Thanks for your input Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Desktop > VLC > XBMC > TV0