Support for USB WiFi-adapters?
howdy folks. i've been around for a while, just now decided to post lol. there was a point when i wanted to sell my xbox, that was before i found xbmc.  now i want a xbox in every room in my house!  the problem with such a setup is the need to run cat5 wires all over the house aswell, which i will never do again since i started using wifi ^^.  xbox controller ports are actually usb ports, which i'm sure most of you already know.  with the right support in xbmc, one could forget about using cat5 wire and stream video/music via a usb wifi adapter.

onto the technical side the xbox's usb ports are v1.1, meaning maximum speed of 11mbps.  having tested the speed between xbox<->router<->pc w/ usb 1.1 wifi the maximum speed i ever got was 400kb/s.  that may not be enough for high resolution video like dvd, but having tested it i could you could do 1gig/1hour videos at the most.

so for the most part video should still be good being streamed through usb 1.1, and of course music would have no trouble at all.  i care more about playing music then video but of course i'm not the only one here ^^.  wifi usb adapters are getting very cheap now, even 802.11g usb adapters, and with some support in xbmc and a simple xbox controller break-away cable modified with a usb plug at the end one could simply just plug the adapter in and voila.  xbox2 is soon upon us, xbox1's will be sold dirt cheap and you can bet i'll have one in each room of my house.  hmm, maybe even bathrooms lol.  xbox has become the heart of my entertainment, thanks to xbmc.  now if only it supported usb wifi adapters, i would never leave the house ^^.
Sad 
not going to happen, so get a  wireless-bridge instead. (do a search for "usb" to understand why coding support for any pc/windows usb-device is too hard to do)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for USB WiFi-adapters?0