Windowed vs. Full screen
Hey all,

just a quick question, nothing exceptional but just something i've been wondering about. When i start Eden (b1 & b2 show the same behavior) on a PC in full screen mode it starts in a couple of seconds, but when i start it in windowed mode it takes about 2-3 minutes before i actually get to the menu. Anyone else notice this, and is this behavior by design?

Looking forward to your comments and remarks.
That sounds odd. Eden certainly doesn't do that here. If you post a debug log that might give some clues as to why it's happening. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging. Now start XBMC in windowed mode then after it finally gets started close it again.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
Hey JR,

sorry for the delayed response, didn't get an alert that you had replied Smile

here's the log: http://pastebin.com/Fq0BA22v

Seems to be related for XMBC checking for a remote...

Thanks for the help.

Kind regards,
Philipp
The CRemoteControl::etc log entries are a red herring. The delay will be caused by something earlier in the log. If I compare your log with mine (in windowed mode) I see extra entries:

Code:
17:27:10 T:6772 WARNING: System rebooted during music scan! ... restoring UseTags and FindRemoteThumbs
17:27:10 T:6772  NOTICE: CApplication::UpdateLibraries - Starting video library startup scan
17:27:10 T:6772   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogVideoScan.xml) ------
17:27:10 T:6772    INFO: Loading skin file: DialogVideoScan.xml
17:27:10 T:6772   DEBUG: CTextureBundleXBT::OpenBundle - Opened bundle D:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\media\Textures.xbt
<31 second pause here>
17:30:41 T:6772  NOTICE: CApplication::UpdateLibraries - Starting music library startup scan
17:30:41 T:6772   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogMusicScan.xml) ------
17:30:41 T:6772    INFO: Loading skin file: DialogMusicScan.xml
17:30:41 T:5432   DEBUG: Thread VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner start, auto delete: 0
17:30:41 T:6772    INFO: Music scan has started... Enabling tag reading, and remote thumbs
17:30:41 T:5432  NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..

It would be interesting to record a log when starting full screen and see how it compares with this log.

JR
hmms, well that's a bit odd, fullscreen mode doesn't seem to make a difference... i assumed it would because i have it installed on a HTPC connected to my TV and that one is quick as a button (and system specs are not nearly as good as on this system).

The noticeble differences between this setup and the HTPC that i could think of that would make a difference are:
  • automated scanning is enabled on this system
  • this system has 2 monitors

Think that could be the problem?

I've uploaded the log in fullscreen mode just as well here: http://pastebin.com/n8yCvhQY
rimster Wrote:hmms, well that's a bit odd, fullscreen mode doesn't seem to make a difference

Ok, I didn't think it could be a windowed vs fullscreen problem.

The 30 second pause is about the time taken to time out a network resource. However the log file doesn't give us any clues. I would try deleting (or moving) the profile to force XBMC to start with a new empty profile. Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%"

(including the quotes) and click Ok and an Explorer window will open. Find the folder XBMC and rename it to e.g. XBMCOld. Then try starting XBMC.

JR
Do you have a disc in the optical drive? I had a similar issue. My htpc had no problems opening xbmc. My i7 machine would hang and it would take several minutes to open. My log file was very similar to yours. I removed an audio cd from my dvd tray on my i7 machine and it worked just fine. Put the disc back in and it would hang again. My htpc does not have an optical drive so that explains whey I never had an issue with it.

I just chocked it up to a possible failing optical drive.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
jhsrennie Wrote:Ok, I didn't think it could be a windowed vs fullscreen problem.

The 30 second pause is about the time taken to time out a network resource. However the log file doesn't give us any clues. I would try deleting (or moving) the profile to force XBMC to start with a new empty profile. Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%"

(including the quotes) and click Ok and an Explorer window will open. Find the folder XBMC and rename it to e.g. XBMCOld. Then try starting XBMC.

JR

Deleting the old profile (or well renaming) and forcing a new one get's it up in less than a second, so there's something in there that slows it down indeed... the question just is what Smile
htpc guy Wrote:Do you have a disc in the optical drive? I had a similar issue. My htpc had no problems opening xbmc. My i7 machine would hang and it would take several minutes to open. My log file was very similar to yours. I removed an audio cd from my dvd tray on my i7 machine and it worked just fine. Put the disc back in and it would hang again. My htpc does not have an optical drive so that explains whey I never had an issue with it.

I just chocked it up to a possible failing optical drive.

Thanks for the tip, but no disc in the optical drive. My HTPC also has (as well empty) drive, so don't think that's the problem.
rimster Wrote:Deleting the old profile (or well renaming) and forcing a new one get's it up in less than a second, so there's something in there that slows it down indeed... the question just is what Smile

I'd start recreating the stuff you had in the old profile and see when it starts slowing down again.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I'd start recreating the stuff you had in the old profile and see when it starts slowing down again.

JR

well it's something in my advencedsettings.xml, because after putting this one back in the new profile it got slow again: http://pastebin.com/J5c4As9T
All I can suggest is to take nodes out of advancedsettings.xml until the delay disappears. If you can discover which settings is causing the delay that might give us some clues.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windowed vs. Full screen0